Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6Tdci Auto, Can't Get It Running After Fuel Filter Change

S40Un

Changed the fuel filter on my 1.6 tdci focus , (the filter with the module on top )

I've filled the filter with diesel , used a Home made fuel primer to get the fuel to come through the lines.

However no fuel seems to come from the common rail injector nuts when loosened off.

You can clearly smell diesel fumes from the exhaust as well.

I know these are a pain to bleed but I'm a bit stuck now, as I would normally towstart which normally gets them going straight away.

Problem is mine is the 7 speed cvt model.

Has anyone got any tips for these ?

Thanks

Shaun

The rail itself self bleeds, you don't need to crack any nuts there. When you've filled the filter just gotta keep cranking in bursts until it starts. Maybe your battery is a bit poor and not turning over quick enough? Can link another cars battery to get it turning a bit quicker if that's the case.

My battery is only a couple of months old

And I ended up running it flat.

I had to resort in the jump starting

So far no luck.

Only a very hot starter :z

I would take the filter out again, manually fill with syringe until it is brimming, then re-prime, and bleed.

Worth connecting the intake from the fuel pump and then bleed from the engine out, until you get a constant flow of fuel with no bubbles to be sure.

Then, when you next connect it all up, turn the engine to electrics (position 2) but do not turn over. Turn off, then back to electrics - do this three times to ensure the pump is fully primed.

Now, give it a few bursts (dont try to start the car - just crank it for a second then stop) - do this three times.

Now go for the full start.

The combination above, should ensure everything is fully primed, and should hopefully prevent another flat battery.

• Like 2

There is no electric lift pump on the 1.6 Jeebs, so ignition on makes no difference, someone thought that was a good idea I suppose...makes them such a pain to prime though!

Shaun, can you connect your hand primer between the outlet of the filter and the rail inlet pipe? If so keep it in the system and keep pumping while a mate turns it over in bursts. Also if you have something flammable to hand (easy start/ether/brake cleaner) get a bit of that in the air intake as well.

Not to much flammable stuff or you could have a zaffira moment. Lol

• Like 2

Not to much flammable stuff or you could have a zaffira moment. Lol

drop a match in diesel and it will go out needs heat to get diesels to light. I would be more worried about cracking injectors and cranking it under extreme pressure as a jet will cause serious injury. Never ever crack open injectors on a common rail engine.
  • Like 1

drop a match in diesel and it will go out needs heat to get diesels to light. I would be more worried about cracking injectors and cranking it under extreme pressure as a jet will cause serious injury. Never ever crack open injectors on a common rail engine.

i was refering to the previous comment about using easy start/ether/brake cleaner, even i know the flammable properties of diesel.

i was refering to the previous comment about using easy start/ether/brake cleaner, even i know the flammable properties of diesel.

Ah sorry didn't read all of that post lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys

I ended up getting it going by leaving it on charge over night , kept bleeding it & leaving my hand made primer on until the far would run

Cheers

Shaun

• 10 months later...

Hi, I signed up just for this one post, to maybe spare someone else some grief one day. Lets face it, these 1.6 tdcis are finicky and fragile.

Anyway, I just did my second ever DIY fuel filter replacement.

First time round, 2 years ago, it went without a hitch. Though I did notice, that I kept getting bubbles, no matter how long I bled with my vacuum pump. I kept catching it, and pouring it back in the fuel tank, at some point I felt I'd bled enough and decided these bubbles must have some other source, say the vacuum pump adapter. And it started right up. What did it solve this time round => the occasional complete cutting off of the engine, one time even on the highway. And it being down on power, though I did not notice this particular symptom as it was gradual.

Round 2, today, two years later. Same procedure. Again bubbles till the end, and I bled a whole litre. Started up. Nothing. Started about 5 more times. Nothing. Went online, watched two videos, picked up some useful tidbits of advice, like plugging the outlet from which I bled and filling the outlet pipe with diesel, to make extra sure there was no air, and priming the system by only turning on the ignition a few times before actually starting. Bled another litre. Started it up. Nothing!

Boy did I hate that engine at that moment, especially the designers. Then I remembered, last time I was being super cheapskatey and pouring the fuel back in the tank, which I didn't do this time on account of a dirty catch container, that had previously held brake fluid. So I opened the fuel tank cap, greeted by the usual whoosh of air. Bled again, though very little this time, and also plugged the outlet. Started it, it ran for a second and died. Started it again, and revved up to 3000, as I wasn't going to let it cut off again. And it was done. :) What a relief.

Took it for a test drive, and all was well again. What did it solve this time => no cutoffs, but seriously down on power. No usual turbo boost after a brief delay, it was as if the turbo was gone, it was that sluggish and down on power.

Moral of the story: don't give up, never surrender. Try everything. Maybe it was the fuel filler cap and the vacuum in the tank, maybe I tried one time too little to start it up. Who knows.

• 2 years later...

As it turned out it was the pressure converter/magnetic valve for the turbo, part number y601-18-740.

• 11 months later...

For anyone still having issues, always a good idea to double-check the bleed screw on top. I bought a new filter, assumed new out-of-the-box it would be in working condition... Mine was made of chocolate and fell to pieces when I tightened it, meaning it was drawing air in every time I primed - after pulling 12litres(!) of diesel through and still seeing bubbles I pulled the filter out again and found the problem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club