Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blown Turbo

tobester70

At the end of a 200+ mile journey last night and 3 miles from home in our Mondeo Mk3 (2003) I suddenly lost power, then one up one hill too many a grating noise coming from the engine (like going over a cattle grid) then all hell as the engine went out of control with increasing revs and smoke coming from the bonnet as we all bailed out in fear that it was about to explode. The revving continued with the ignition turned off but almost at it's peak of revving suddenly stopped. Luck would have it that a local mechanic was passing at that precise moment - he got us home and the car now sits in his garage waiting for inspection. He was able to offer 'blown turbo seals' as an on-the-spot diagnosis and said that 9 times out of 10 that meant a new engine or the end of the car. I'm hoping then, while I await his full and proper diagnosis in the sober light of day, that someone might be able to give some hope to cling to. A fuller explanation of what might have just happened to my car... should we actually be just thankful that my wife, two boys, golden retriever and I are still alive... and if it is as common and unpredictable as the friendly mechanic was suggesting will I be able to drive a turbo powered car ever again?... Frightening, still shaken, everything that was in the car now stinks of burned oil and I have little idea what just happened. Any advice and positivity would be much appreciated at this time.

With the ignition off the engine will have been burning its own oil, so I would expect that the engine and in your case the car will be beyond economical repair

• Like 1

Scrap value now, as the engine has over reved way past its safe normal limit, chances are the conrods have bent ir the conrod to crank studs have stretched and wont be long before the rod will be poking out the side of block.

new year, new car time .

Thanks Pete and Ian. I don't suppose any of it would be covered by standard Fully Comp insurance? And could anything have prevented it or does it just happen?

Nope, turbo seal failure can occur at any time, just worn out basically.

• Like 1

Mechanical failure is not covered by insurance unless you have a warranty, even then there are many get out clauses.

Turbo failure can happen any time but it is rare they do what yours has done, I wouldn't let that put you off a turbo, and generally the Mondeo is a reliable car.

Just out of interest how many miles had yours done?

About 150K I think. It's been fantastic for 5 years of ownership. Gutted at the unexpected prospect of losing it. Not sure I would drive anything else but that Turbo thing will now haunt me. It was a terrifying experience. Thanks all for your responses!

Otherwise known as a runaway diesel, YouTube it, there are some phenomenal situations.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you at this time of year though! I guess yours stopped when the engine oil ran out and the engine seized?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club