Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can a Headunit Scratch a CD?

TomsFocus

Basically I stuck a different CD in yesterday, there were some bad noises, it wouldn't read for several seconds then started sounding like infinite skipping.

I ejected it and looked underneath to see loads of scratches only across the radius of the disc, not the whole diameter. 

I keep them in cases and don't remember scratching it at any point, but also didn't realise the headunit could do any damage?  How does it 'suck' the CDs in?  Rubber rollers that can't scratch plastic I thought?

Put the CD back in that's been in there 6 months and that one plays fine... :unsure:

If the headunit damaged the CD, I would expect it to make circular scratches where it is spinning the disc.

Unless there is some grit, or something sticking up on the slot as it goes in?

• Like 1

Hmm, ok no these weren't circular, I meant to get a pic but keep forgetting until I'm inside lol.  I'll see if I can see anything in/on the slot.

Is the disk warped?

• Like 1

Disc looks OK, nothing around the slot either.

Turns out it's pretty hard to photo a reflective surface lol.

IMG_20160519_170841085.jpg

Looking at that pic I would suggest that someone has been less than kind to that disk before your recent attempt to play it. Try giving it a good clean with something like the free microfibre cloths that come with spectacles, working from the centre outwards. Not 'round & round'!

With some of the scratches starting in the middle though, which is where the 'burning' starts from, you might be out of luck.

In the meantime test a couple of replaceable copies, or even blank disks, to see if it happens again.

If it happens to another (or blank) disk I don't know what the answer is short of perhaps using the crevice tool of a domestic vacuum cleaner to, hopefully, clean any grot out.

Good luck

• Like 1

It is, apparently, possible to repair scratched CDs by polishing out the scratches. If you search online you'll find some bizarre suggestions using, e.g., toothpaste and/or bananas (yes, bananas!) that nevertheless appear to work but the most successful is probably to use some metal polish.

Tom, difficult to see from the pic but the ones at the from appear to come out from the centre but then slowly bend to the left, are the rest like that?

It was a new CD, went straight in the centre cubby hole in its case and has maybe been played once but spent the rest of the time in there.  No-one else has access to it and as I say I don't remember scratching it, I'm usually pretty careful with them.

Yeah I've heard about those Mike, not sure if any work...or if I'll just end up with a mint & banana smell wafting through the car as the CD heats up! :laugh: 

Darren, yes, most if not all seem to have that little bend in them.

Ive seen that before, admittedly not on a car CD player but on a standalone deck. the cause then was when the CD stops spinning the reading head retracts, any bump or motion of the disc could then cause the head to hit the disc, the curved scratch was a result of the discs momentum whilst the head moved.

It might not be the same issue but it looks spookily similar.

the cause was several fold, the player was bumped or moved whilst the disc came to a standstill / started to spin and the disc was ever so slightly warped because it was left suspended on the central hole for a lengthy period of time, under full speed the disc would flatten out.

Never had the problem again after I stopped leaving discs in the deck and made sure it was powered off before moving it

Ah that's interesting, this HU does skip discs pretty often with any rough ground or even lateral G through corners so maybe that's it.  Will see if I can polish the scratches out if I remember to bring it in today lol.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thread revival lol...

It did the same to 2 brand new CDs today, so definitely the Headunit doing it.  Either as it sucks them in or spits them out it's putting some straight lines across them.

Won't be keeping the cat much longer so won't worry about fixing it now but at least I know it's that doing it lol!

The Mk2 V70's used to be famous for it, mine chewed up almost every CD I put in it, just by playing it...

• Like 1

The answer is yes a head unit can coaster a disc. When one of the last Gen consoles came out, either PS3 or 360. They liked to much on a few discs.

As you've stated don't worry about it, CDs are prehistoric. Now find a decent car with an 8 Track in it :tongue:

• Like 2

Lol CDs are alright, I just got a 5 disc set, only released in September this year for a fiver!!  Would cost 10 times that on the apple tunes. :tongue:

But seriously, will see what system the next car comes with and if its got an aux rather than CD changer I'll probably buy one of those new fangled MP3 players and burn the CDs onto them lol.

Nah get a student card, then sign up to Spotify for £5 a month. Then that's you sorted.

Unless of course you can't get Cher and Daniel O'donnel's greatest hits on Spotify.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, goldtail77 said:

The answer is yes a head unit can coaster a disc. When one of the last Gen consoles came out, either PS3 or 360. They liked to much on a few discs.

As you've stated don't worry about it, CDs are prehistoric. Now find a decent car with an 8 Track in it :tongue:

It was the dreaded 360 - the bleeding thing had a hankering for CD's toward the end of its service life. The noise it made when it finally decided to ruin your day and eat your CD was like something out of a horror film...

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, goldtail77 said:

Agree, CD's are prehistoric.

8 Track!   that brings back memories of the late 60's,  best playback sound I have ever heard. Had one in my Land Crab.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club