Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loosing coolant

Iruhaku

Hi, I bought a Ford Fiesta around 2 weeks ago and it's losing coolant well it is and it isn't. If I top it up to the 'max' mark it'll disappear till just above the 'min' mark then it won't go any lower. It went from max to min in around 100 miles but after another 100 miles it hasn't budged. I only found out because I was at a garage for wheel balancing and alignment and the mechanic said it looked like my water pump was looking. Just wondering if a water pump leak would cause this as I thought it would be a constant leak not just leak to a certain level and then stop or am I missing something?

thanks for any insight offered 

My Focus does that. An all the others at work do to!

They seem to find their own level, Ford dealer said as long as there's some in overflow tank don't worry.

So keep your eye on it and stop topping it up! Mine remains slightly higher since the cap was replaced by the way (they had to break original off)

Another Focus that does it's own thing.

Garage commented on my low coolant level - said not to worry about it, 6-months later I was back for something else, commented again - it hadn't moved at all...I'd not topped it up and the car was (is) running fine

Other than a crack in the expansion tank/resevoir, it could just be that as these engines run hot, as the coolant and air in the tank expands, it is venting some of the coolant out of the cap (it is designed to release at certain pressure) until the level drops enough so as not to cause the pressure build up in the reservoir.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club