Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine shake in idle

Marcuscorp

I just bought a 2015 fiesta 1L ecoboost and the engine shakes in idle and at times the reverse shudders. The dealer said it's normal for a 3 cylinder engine to get vibrations in idle. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Think the dealer might be pulling your ...leg. my 2014 3 cylinder 1L ecoboost does not shake or have excess vibrations at idle in fact it is quite smooth.

Auldreekie Thanks for the info. The cars running great apart from reverse. I'm going to get an idependant mechanic to have a look at it before I go back to the dealer all guns blazing. 

Can you feel the shake inside the cabin? If not, and it is just when observing the engine in the engine bay, then with it being a 3 cylinder it is unavoidably going to do this. Various techniques exist to dampen it and in the case of the Ecoboost Ford went with an unbalanced crank pulley and flywheel which converts the vertical rocking to lateral oscillation. This leads to more side-to-side vibration than a 4 cylinder but the engine mounts should be absorbing this so whilst you might see it you shouldn't be feeling it.

I can't feel much vibration in the car but it does shudder when going slowly in reverse. I'm not sure if this is related. The drive generally is very good. I'm taking the car in to the garage shortly to check the engine mounts.

Thanks 

I missed the bit about reverse.

Can you elaborate on what it is you feel? Do you get anything similar in 1st?

Certainly the relative force on the engine mounts is different in forward than reverse and so if one was loose it may lead to unsmooth movement.

Often when I reverse I get a shudder/shaking very unsmooth but I never get this going forward. At the moment when reversing I just lift the clutch and it's a lot better. This issue is at its worst at slow speeds and without the clutch fully up 

I notice vibration at tick-over in my car but it is not severe.  My last car was a Honda and you wouldn't even know the engine was running at tick-over so it is not surprising I can feel something but it is typical 3 cylinder.  When I used high octane fuel I noticed it was a lot smoother - try it.

I've also noticed a scrapping sound when I do a full right hand side steering lock. I've only had the car a week and will sound out the garage I bought it from at the end of the week.

thanks for the info 

4 hours ago, Marcuscorp said:

I've also noticed a scrapping sound when I do a full right hand side steering lock. I've only had the car a week and will sound out the garage I bought it from at the end of the week.

thanks for the info 

If you find out what that noise is, update the thread incase folk in future have the same issue 

8 hours ago, Marcuscorp said:

I can't feel much vibration in the car but it does shudder when going slowly in reverse. I'm not sure if this is related. The drive generally is very good. I'm taking the car in to the garage shortly to check the engine mounts.

Thanks 

I had this shudder only in reverse years ago in a different car. Turns out it was a warped clutch plate. 

• Like 1

I was wondering about the clutch but I couldn't fathom why it might only happen in reverse. The engine obviously only turns the one way so I couldn't see how it might affect things differently. I'm not in a position to say it isn't that of course, but I'm just struggling with wondering how it might be! :unsure:

• Like 1

Thanks I'll sound out the mechanic tomorrow. I've found that just lifting the clutch in reverse with no use of the accelerator makes a big improvement. So much for the dealerships 110 point checks I've only had the car just over a week and this is the second time I've had to take it back 

On 09/04/2017 at 8:08 PM, Marcuscorp said:

I just bought a 2015 fiesta 1L ecoboost and the engine shakes in idle and at times the reverse shudders. The dealer said it's normal for a 3 cylinder engine to get vibrations in idle. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

I have the same model and when ticking over I sometimes don't realise the engine is running.   What that dealer said is a load of guff. 

I took the car to the garage today they checked the engine mounts and said they were ok. The mechanic also showed me another fiesta which did shake at idle. I drove home and Sod's law my cars now making an intermittent vibration noise from the engine in idle. I give up! 

• 4 years later...

I am financing a 2016 ford fiesta S from regal cars in Stillwater,OK .I've only had this car for 30days and have had it in their shop more than in my possession due to shaking in the front end ,the car idles funny...revs high and low and the front end vibrates really bad no matter what speed I'm going. When the AC is on it idles even rougher. I took my car over to O'Reilly auto parts store and they pulled up a code that says the main computer for the transmission is frying out . Regal is aware of it but says there is nothing wrong with the car. Needles to say I am pretty sure they pulled the check engine sencore from this car because the check engine light does not come on/work. What should I do. They are making me pay $13,000 for a used car that had 86,789 miles on it.???? Any advice?? Not to mention there has been a factory recall on these make,model and year of fiesta's. Which they are also aware of 

18 hours ago, Sarah L Dunn said:

I am financing a 2016 ford fiesta S from regal cars in Stillwater,OK .I've only had this car for 30days and have had it in their shop more than in my possession due to shaking in the front end ,the car idles funny...revs high and low and the front end vibrates really bad no matter what speed I'm going. When the AC is on it idles even rougher. I took my car over to O'Reilly auto parts store and they pulled up a code that says the main computer for the transmission is frying out . Regal is aware of it but says there is nothing wrong with the car. Needles to say I am pretty sure they pulled the check engine sencore from this car because the check engine light does not come on/work. What should I do. They are making me pay $13,000 for a used car that had 86,789 miles on it.???? Any advice?? Not to mention there has been a factory recall on these make,model and year of fiesta's. Which they are also aware of 

Hi Sarah, this is a very old thread, you'd've been better off starting a new one.

I'm not sure how things work in your country, but I would reject the car and have my money back

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club