Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk8 ST-Line dashcam?

ChrisLocalBoy

I picked up my new Fiesta ST-Line last week (loving it so far!) after swapping from a Focus Zetec.

I had a dashcam fitted in the Focus no problem which I've moved over to the Fiesta and there are 2 types of fuses in the passenger compartment, micro 2 and micro 3.

Looking at the manual there seemed to be a lot more available fuses in micro 2 so ordered myself a piggyback.

My problem is that every available fuse (except one... I'll come to in a minute) is permanent live which I don't want, the only fuse that isn't is live with the engine and not ignition, which has me up and running but its not ideal because the camera I have is designed to be hardwired so the 'battery' only last 20 seconds or so, meaning that if I'm in a bit of traffic and my stop/start kicks in the camera will be power will be going on/off all the time, I know I could just turn my stop/start off but its more of an annoyance than anything and I'm a bit of a perfectionist! I'll be honest and say having the button start instead of a key..... I'm not sure how that changes the ignition (as you obviously cant just turn the key to step one)

There are some micro 3 fuses in the same compartment so I've just ordered another piggyback for the sake of £3 to try those fuses instead but reading the fuse descriptions I don't think I'm gonna have much luck.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem and did they manage to get around it? I don't really want to start considering going into the engine fuse box (where there are a LOT more choices) as I assume it will be a sealed unit to get it watertight and I don't want to risk compromising that at all.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Have you tested to see if the switched live is going off with stop start? Usually it stays on with ignition, regardless of what the engine is doing.

Alex, 

Ah......very good point! you know what I never considered that, I actually have not tested that as I only installed it yesterday and I've not taken the car out since as I'm working from home, I'll pop out at lunch time and see what happens and let you know.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 11:31 AM, ChrisLocalBoy said:

Alex, 

Ah......very good point! you know what I never considered that, I actually have not tested that as I only installed it yesterday and I've not taken the car out since as I'm working from home, I'll pop out at lunch time and see what happens and let you know.

Cheers!

How did you get on with this. I've got a mk8 Fiesta now and will be looking for a switched live fuse to wire in my dashcam.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club