Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Noise When Braking

tonyb61

I was driving today and started to hear a loud grinding noise when braking which gets worse as the car is driven, and the brakes are used more. Noise seems to come from front nearside wheel. I got home and looked at the pads, and they have 2-3mm left. What else could it be ?

There could be grit (loose stones) lodged in around the caliper. I would securely jack up offending side of the car, turn wheel by hand to check for any resistance. Remove wheel, check rotar for resistance. Spray brake cleaner around rotar and caliper. Put wheel back on test drive it to see if noise reoccurs. If you know what your doing, you could remove the brake pads and give the caliper a through checking, it could be that it's sticking or leaking some brake fluid. Check the level and it's dot4 brake fluid in fords. Let u sknow how you get on.

might want to check the brake disc isnt worn too. i had the same sound and thats what was wrong with mines

at 3mm i would be changing the pads.

at 3mm i would be changing the pads.

I had decided to bite the bullet, and as the disks look pretty worn judging by the lip at the edge and centre I felt happier replacing the lot especially as pretty cheap on a focus. So I have a set of disk/pads lined up for the weekend....Hopefully they will fix the problem !

I had decided to bite the bullet, and as the disks look pretty worn judging by the lip at the edge and centre I felt happier replacing the lot especially as pretty cheap on a focus. So I have a set of disk/pads lined up for the weekend....Hopefully they will fix the problem !

best way with brakes :)

The focus is an easy car to replace the brakes on (disks anyway!) but I had the same thing, a lot of noise when there was about 3mm of play left. I think its a "feature" of Fords - new pads from EuroCar Parts - £35 - jobs a good un'

The focus is an easy car to replace the brakes on (disks anyway!) but I had the same thing, a lot of noise when there was about 3mm of play left. I think its a "feature" of Fords - new pads from EuroCar Parts - £35 - jobs a good un'

Well, replaced disks/pads and problem obvious once pads removed. The inside pad had 0mm left (although outer pad had 4-5mm)! Not sure why I hadn't seen that when I checked. Just as well I had already decided to replace disks as well ;)

Anyway all good now, brakes working great and quiet too.

Job well done, and something not to have to worry about for a good length of time. :)

Agreed, im glad that Ford got something very right on the Focus, 10mm bolts, undone, disk on, pads on, tightened up - alls good :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club