Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frustrating Coil Light Blinking - Titanium X Tdci 2.2

DomCotton

Hi,

I have a frustrating problem with my titanium X tdci 2.2. Recently a warning light started coming on inside the car, there was nothing unusual about the way i was driving the coil light started to flash and i lost a lot of power in the car. I since discovered this is referred to as limp mode. Ever since then the problem has been getting worse, if i drive very carefully and slowly or if i hammer the gears, the light decides sometimes to come on and sometimes not to. Also to coincide with this light, there was a really noticeable whooshing sound on decelleration or changing gears with higher revs.

I have taken the car to Ford and had them examine it. They told me its an EGR valve that needs replacing. I have also taken the car to an independent garage who have removed the EGR valve and tested it and told me there is nothing wrong with the valve.

Ford want £££'s to replace with a new EGR valve but I am not convinced this will resolve the issue and dont want to throw endless amounts of cash at this problem as it doesnt seem like a simple valve unless i am mistaken.

Another point - somebody told me that because i dont drive many miles that the EGR valve is choking up, and i was advised to drive the car's engine until warm every time i use it. However for about 1 and a half years of owning this vehicle i havent had a single problem with it until the first occurence of this.

Please can somebody help me! I am at the end of my rope on this one...

Thanks,

Dom

p.s. mods please move to the correct forum if this isnt it :)

Hi,

I have a frustrating problem with my titanium X tdci 2.2. Recently a warning light started coming on inside the car, there was nothing unusual about the way i was driving the coil light started to flash and i lost a lot of power in the car. I since discovered this is referred to as limp mode. Ever since then the problem has been getting worse, if i drive very carefully and slowly or if i hammer the gears, the light decides sometimes to come on and sometimes not to. Also to coincide with this light, there was a really noticeable whooshing sound on decelleration or changing gears with higher revs.

I have taken the car to Ford and had them examine it. They told me its an EGR valve that needs replacing. I have also taken the car to an independent garage who have removed the EGR valve and tested it and told me there is nothing wrong with the valve.

Ford want £££'s to replace with a new EGR valve but I am not convinced this will resolve the issue and dont want to throw endless amounts of cash at this problem as it doesnt seem like a simple valve unless i am mistaken.

Another point - somebody told me that because i dont drive many miles that the EGR valve is choking up, and i was advised to drive the car's engine until warm every time i use it. However for about 1 and a half years of owning this vehicle i havent had a single problem with it until the first occurence of this.

Please can somebody help me! I am at the end of my rope on this one...

Thanks,

Dom

p.s. mods please move to the correct forum if this isnt it :)

Not a lot of help I'm afraid but my sons 2.0 Diesel had this problem but the only problem was the light. It had no effect whatsoever on the driving of the car. Fortunately the car was still under the used car warranty that came with the car (Warranty Direct) and Halfords charged £244 to change it. We only had to pay the excess of £50. I understood that the EGR is simply to maintain the emmisions level for MOT purposes but I may be wrong.

its common for the intercooler pipe (the large pipe on the bottom of the egr valve) to split and then you loose boost pressure,check this pipe first if its ok get the fault codes read by a local garage before you chuck money at the car. the egr valve clogs up on all the tdci's its just how they are but they can be removed and cleaned.

its common for the intercooler pipe (the large pipe on the bottom of the egr valve) to split and then you loose boost pressure,check this pipe first if its ok get the fault codes read by a local garage before you chuck money at the car. the egr valve clogs up on all the tdci's its just how they are but they can be removed and cleaned.

hey thanks for the reply really appreciate it. I had heard that the valves clog up, but would that account for the strange whooshy sound when i decellerate? I dont so much lose power but when it goes into limp mode (i.e. light flashing) it has no turbo at all, i havent noticed a drop in performance overall when it is working well.

Somebody also mentioned that the glow plugs could cause this problem - does this make sense for anybody?

Thanks a lot,

Dom

its the whooshing noise that makes me think its a split rubber pipe,and the intercooler pipe is the most common one to split, no turbo is normal in limp home mode,the glow plugs are only used on very cold starts but the light doubles up as a warning light the same as the e.m light,which is why if the pipes are all ok you should have a fault code stored in the ecu which will point you towards the cause of the fault.

its the whooshing noise that makes me think its a split rubber pipe,and the intercooler pipe is the most common one to split, no turbo is normal in limp home mode,the glow plugs are only used on very cold starts but the light doubles up as a warning light the same as the e.m light,which is why if the pipes are all ok you should have a fault code stored in the ecu which will point you towards the cause of the fault.

Hi,

OK so far i haven't had much luck. One thing that my mechanic has spotted is that one of the pipes (not sure which one) has some oil or somethign on it suggesting that there may be a leak somewhere. Potentially a split hose as mentioned... but i have had the diagnostic machine on it and all it keeps saying is the EGR Valve which i have had removed and thoroughly cleaned (it was pretty clean anyway)...

The diagnostic machine did report that potentially one of the glow plugs was damaged, and i did read on a forum somewhere that this light could be because of glow plugs but it doesnt make sense why this would happen while driving and not just at start up... this is being checked at the moment.

Thanks again,

Dom

hiya all. new Ford Mondeo Owner and within 5 mins of purchasing and heading home. i had this coil flashing. thought maybe cos it been sat in showroom for a long time it might need to be warmed up etc. but all evening of doing chinese deliveries. i had many problems..

Coil appear so many ti mes. even when going at 70mph, or pulling out of junction. i keep getting into limp mode.

Driving and then the car just dont rev. the rev goes to 0 as if it was not turned on. i presss gas petal and nothing happened. tried turning off eengine and turning it on while still moving. it would not do a thing. so had to stop and turn off then try again. it comes to normal. come to think of it. when this happened, the battery light appears. but funny enough. the dealer shown me new alternator, new starter motor been fitted??

when i am on 2nd gear and changing to 3rd. the revs goes from 3 to 6 as i change the gear. just like the clutch is slipping. i do not understand what is wrong. why do this happen after i have test driven, mate who is a mechanic test driven it for me and i purchase it for the problem to happen afterwards!!!

Going back to the dealer is a long way mind. so i just want to know what need doing to solve them problems then get in contact on monday with the dealer to see what can be done for me.

The egr is a very common problem,

If u can clean it out 1st and c how u get on,

If not then go to a jaguar dealer as they r the same, i can get the part code if u need it, i know ford what over £300, where as jag will only charge u just over a £100 big differance in money

The egr is a very common problem,

If u can clean it out 1st and c how u get on,

If not then go to a jaguar dealer as they r the same, i can get the part code if u need it, i know ford what over £300, where as jag will only charge u just over a £100 big differance in money

Interesting that a Jag dealer charges less than a Ford sealer. Us Ford owners must be being really ripped off !

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club