Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dmf V's Solid Flywheel

croc86

I would be interested to know peoples experiences.

Has anybody had a solid flywheel fitted to their Ford Focus TDCi after their DMF failed. I am considering this as the garage says they have done this on Transit vans with barely any difference in clutch vibrations/feel.

I would be interested to know peoples experiences.

Has anybody had a solid flywheel fitted to their Ford Focus TDCi after their DMF failed. I am considering this as the garage says they have done this on Transit vans with barely any difference in clutch vibrations/feel.

Just been quoted £828 inclusive of VAT for clutch conversion kit! :blink: This is just for a solid flywheel!!

Just been quoted £828 inclusive of VAT for clutch conversion kit! blink.gif This is just for a solid flywheel!!

thay are expensive but you have to watch vw convert themn a lot and the clutch can be noisy it really just depends on the car dmfs fail with alarming regularity these days its dear to convert buy the idea is how much will a dmf cost and how much will it cost over the life of the car im surprised at the price vws are only about 200 quid

thay are expensive but you have to watch vw convert themn a lot and the clutch can be noisy it really just depends on the car dmfs fail with alarming regularity these days its dear to convert buy the idea is how much will a dmf cost and how much will it cost over the life of the car im surprised at the price vws are only about 200 quid

The kit itself is about £250-300 but the remainder is for the labour charge! Surely they can convert it quicker? :blink:

The kit itself is about £250-300 but the remainder is for the labour charge! Surely they can convert it quicker? blink.gif

well with the vws it was a diy job provided you had the knowledge my only concern would be that its noisy as some solid conversions can be it can be a hit or miss some cars are fine others arent it doesnt take any longer to do than a normal clutch

Do you need to drive the car in a different way when you have a DMF fitted?iv,e found that my Focus estate 1.8 TDCI needs more revs to get it going from standstill then any other diesel iv,e owned,otherwise it will stall!Have a look at this.

Do you need to drive the car in a different way when you have a DMF fitted? I have found that my Focus estate 1.8 TDCI needs more revs to get it going from standstill then any other diesel iv,e owned,otherwise it will stall!Have a look at this.

Just converted my Ford Focus tdci from DMF to solid flywheel (conversion kit) and I DO NOT recommend it at all!!!!

I can feel every piston stroke through the clutch pedal when depressing, the engine shakes slightly when reving from idle. The car is now massively underpowered and everyone seems to be overtaking me even though I'm putting the acelerator pedal to the floor from 30-70mph!!

I'm very surprised that changing the flywheel to solid, new clutch and slave cylinder would cause such a dramatic effect! Looks like back to the garage in the morning to see where to go from here! :angry:

Just converted my Ford Focus tdci from DMF to solid flywheel (conversion kit) and I DO NOT recommend it at all!!!!

I can feel every piston stroke through the clutch pedal when depressing, the engine shakes slightly when reving from idle. The car is now massively underpowered and everyone seems to be overtaking me even though I'm putting the acelerator pedal to the floor from 30-70mph!!

I'm very surprised that changing the flywheel to solid, new clutch and slave cylinder would cause such a dramatic effect! Looks like back to the garage in the morning to see where to go from here! mad.gif

as i said it was an issue that vw cars =had some really didnt take to the conversion at all taxis usualkly have it done as it saves a fortune dmfs notoriously fail thats why many tried the conversion

Full power was finally restored by clearing out a vacuum hose nipped when replacing the clutch and flywheel. However, the slight cyclic piston stroke vibrations remain when depressing the clutch when idle which were never there with the failing DMF. There hasn't been any noticeable increase in engine/transmission noise though, perhaps my ears need testing.

Is this considered normal for a TDCi with a solid flywheel? I thought a TDDi had a solid flywheel as standard so are there noticable clutch pedal vibrations on this?

• 1 year later...

Croc, Just wondering how you are getting on with the DMF to solid conversion?

I am considering this for my 04 plate TDCi focus next week.