Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Tdci Servicing Etc

wlshyd

Hi all,

not currently a Ford owner but am looking to get one soon. I currently run a Renaultsport Clio Trophy that it looks like i am going to have to part with as i have a new job entailing lots of motorway miles and cannot justify putting them on a limited edition car like the Trophy. So, my first choice replacement has always been a 2.0 TDCi Focus 2005-2007 ish.

I would be looking at spending much more than £6.5k so am expecting to get one that has done 50k + which doesnt bother me. However, at this age many cars need various cam/aux belt changes etc, is this the same with the oil-burning Fords?

i hear that the 'rough' guideline for cam belts is 10yrs/100k but this seems a bit long to me. Any pointers or other generic buying advice would be great.

many thanks

Dan

oh and any ideas about tyre costs and other running costs would also be great. This is also a consideration for me as me and the Mrs are saving for a house deposit and the Clio, although being small, isnt a very cheap little motor to run.

cheers

oh and any ideas about tyre costs and other running costs would also be great. This is also a consideration for me as me and the Mrs are saving for a house deposit and the Clio, although being small, isnt a very cheap little motor to run.

cheers

6th year or 75K miles which ever comes first, that service I'm led to believe is circa £900 as it will more than likely have a DPF that is scheduled for replacing at that service interval. Premium tyres if it's on 16's can be had for circa £80 a corner, 17's are circa £130, budget obviously cheaper. But I personally would not put budgets on a car being powered by a 2L turbo diesel, as I have had the very same engine in a Volvo S40. [but you will love the torque of the engine ]

thanks for the reply. The Clio cam belt is around £1k with a stealer but surely there must be places that'll do them cheaper?

I know what you are saying about budgeting, i don't mean that i am going to skimp on the car, rather save on running costs, 50mpg plays 27mpg

thanks for the reply. The Clio cam belt is around £1k with a stealer but surely there must be places that'll do them cheaper?

Never had a DPF done, I shifted it on at 63k, so cannot say. But I know it's a engine management reset job, plus I think the Eloys additive and DPF cost circa £500 just to purchase, and that was discounted, least ways it was from a Volvo parts supplier.I do know a S40 owner had quotes from a Ford and a Volvo dealer to do that service, and the quotes came back at £900 and £1000 respectively. Cam belt on the S40 was 10 years or 140k, but like you say any garage can do that job.

I know what you are saying about budgeting, i don't mean that i am going to skimp on the car, rather save on running costs, 50mpg plays 27mpg

I have done two "brimmed" trips from North Yorkshire [i live 13 miles from the motorway network] once to Shaftesbury in Dorset, and once to Totnes in Devon. On both occasions we toured both counties whilst there [ a lot of narrow country lanes in Devon visiting coastal beauty spots] I try to sit at circa 75 mph on cruise on the motorways, and I returned 44.60mpg and 43.47mpg respectively on supermarket fuel.

Hope that gives you a "real world" perspective on fuel economy

Edit: Coincidently we are off to Cornwall back end of May, like I say I'm 13 miles from the motorway and its 5 miles at the other end of the journey, from the A30 which is mostly dual carriageway to our destination. That's a 363 mile journey, needless to say I wont be sat at 75 mph in my current 1.6 Zetec, and I'll definitely miss the cruise control, but there you go. It will be interesting to see what I get out of the 1.6 petrol Zetec and how I feel at the end of the journey, as it was a breeze in the S40.

As per Ford guidelines, the renewal of the cambelt is 125k.every 10 years. I will prob do mine at 100k miles to be on the safe side. Ford have quoted me £269 for the job, independents around £220-230. The belts themselves are apparently quite hard wearing and I think 100k for the change is a safe margin. I don't think all Focus had a dpf as standard for the ones you are looking out so make sure you are sure whether the one you buy has one or not.

So it is 10yrs or 100k as opposed to 5yrs or 75k?

I am after a 2005-06 2.0TDCi, anyone know if these have a DPF that would require changing?

Then again if the cambelt is 100k and i get one that has done 70k or less i wont worry about it for a good 18 months yet.

Any clarification would be good.

cheers

Isnt the 2.0 TDCi a chain and not a belt?

So it is 10yrs or 100k as opposed to 5yrs or 75k?

I am after a 2005-06 2.0TDCi, anyone know if these have a DPF that would require changing?

Then again if the cambelt is 100k and i get one that has done 70k or less i wont worry about it for a good 18 months yet.

Any clarification would be good.

cheers

DPF fitted on models made 15/02/2006-19/03/2007 with stage IV + DPF Emmisions

DPF fitted on models made 15/02/2006-19/03/2007 with stage IV + DPF Emmisions

My Volvo S40 2.0D SE was a 2004 54 plate and it had a DPF. So what your saying is even though Volvo being Ford owned, Ford did not produce the Focus 2.0D with a DPF until 2006.......funny old world

My Volvo S40 2.0D SE was a 2004 54 plate and it had a DPF. So what your saying is even though Volvo being Ford owned, Ford did not produce the Focus 2.0D with a DPF until 2006.......funny old world

DOH just ignore my last comments I thought he was talking about a mondeo!!!! :unsure:

DOH just ignore my last comments I thought he was talking about a mondeo!!!! :unsure:

No sweat, he might go for a Mondeo if he sees the right one without a DPF :)

Now I think Ford Vin number coding is different to that used by Volvo, but with the S40 2.0D if the 8th character was a 5 it had a DPF. And sure enough mine had a 5 making it Euro 5 compliant, and checking the reg with a Volvo parts supplier he confirmed it was he who had imparted that information in another thread on the Volvo forum. But having said that I would reckon the Vin on a Ford will give the same info if you know what to look for.

The focus belt change is definately 10 years/125k miles as stated on Ford Etis website and also as stated by ford dealers. The 2.0 tdci in the mk 2 focus is a Psa engine which is belt driven.

Many 2.0 TDCis seem to run on 205/55 16 rubber which you can get cheap enough (£50 Hankooks etc), but what about shocks and brakes, how much do they usually come out at?

you guys are getting ripped off for those servicing costs with dpf replacement, £900- £100.

the amount of work envolved £300 max including parts.

Think your find fords are ment to but dont change the dpf when ment to so i would ask for proof.

you guys are getting ripped off for those servicing costs with dpf replacement, £900- £100.

Think your find fords are ment to but dont change the dpf when ment to so i would ask for proof.

That sounds more promising. All i am waiting for now is my Clio to sell and i shall go out and about looking at a few Focuses.

I might be back on here looking for more hints etc as at the moment all i know to look for is servicing every 10-12k

Well that is a big difference, if one assumes the DPF part of the service is circa £600 via a Volvo and Ford main dealer. As the DPF is just an exhaust system component, and the addative is just a top up job. The labour I would have thought, should be circa an hour. [not forgetting the required engine management reset]

So given all that, I would be interested to know at what price you could supply the replacement DPF and the required additive needed to replenish the additive tank, for a 2.0 engine. Given that the engine is shared by both the Ford Focus and the Volvo S40 2.0D

As you could pick up some good business from the Volvo forum community, let alone from Ford owners.

Sorry LSAR

for some reason this morning I must have had sleep in my eyes, as I thought I was replying to the Ford Parts guy.

So you are telling me at your garage you will do a replacement DPF and additive replenishment for £300 all in ?

Sorry LSAR

for some reason this morning I must have had sleep in my eyes, as I thought I was replying to the Ford Parts guy.

So you are telling me at your garage you will do a replacement DPF and additive replenishment for £300 all in ?

Unfortunatly the DPF is a poor discount code and unlike most of my prices that are very cheap I cant do much with the dpf it still comes in at he £600 + mark :(

Yes I just cannot believe LSAR's pricing, as I know a Volvo parts supplier who discounts to members on the Volvo forum. Well he supplies the DPF and additive for circa £430. And assuming you could get a mechanic to do the job at say £50 an hour, it's still a £500 job. And then you have to take it to a dealer for the engine management reset.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club