• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brucie

brucie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo 1.8lx 2002
Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

Mondeo Mk3 1.8lx 2002. She turns over but fails to start. Spark at plugs, fuel cut off switch is depressed, no blown fuses, cannot hear fuel pump priming itself. Is there any other checks I can do before replacing the fuel pump? Most times it would start straight away sometimes after a few turns, now not at all.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

Mondeo Mk3 1.8lx 2002. She turns over but fails to start. Spark at plugs, fuel cut off switch is depressed, no blown fuses, cannot hear fuel pump priming itself. Is there any other checks I can do before replacing the fuel pump? Most times it would start straight away sometimes after a few turns, now not at all.

sounds like a fuel issue to me might be a new pump time if you have plenty of spark im assuming that the coil pack is fine

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,754 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

sounds like a fuel issue to me might be a new pump time if you have plenty of spark im assuming that the coil pack is fine

i would start by checking any fuses and relays specific to the pump and then check all wiring to it and any earths.

also check that there is power getting to the pump.

#4 brucie

brucie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

i would start by checking any fuses and relays specific to the pump and then check all wiring to it and any earths.

also check that there is power getting to the pump.

Ordered 2nd hand one £42 so no great expense if not the pump. Question - can i hook up replacement before installing to see if it runs, thus ensuring its not a wiring fault. Dont want to do any damage. Power is getting to pump, meter reads when ignition turned on.

cheers

#5 L S Auto Repairs

L S Auto Repairs

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:02 AM

Have you checked to see if your getting fuel up to the fuel rail?

Spark at end of HT leads?

There a 3 amp engine management fuse that blows in the engine compartment check that.

#6 brucie

brucie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Have you checked to see if your getting fuel up to the fuel rail?

Spark at end of HT leads?

There a 3 amp engine management fuse that blows in the engine compartment check that.

Fuse ok, there is a spark, what is the best way of checking fuel at the rail? If the pump has gone would there still be enough pressure for injectors to inject fuel? Plugs are bone dry.

#7 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Fuse ok, there is a spark, what is the best way of checking fuel at the rail? If the pump has gone would there still be enough pressure for injectors to inject fuel? Plugs are bone dry.

with the pump gone there will be no fuel in the rail as youll have used what was left in the pipe turning it over

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users