#1 pumalady

pumalady

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Puma

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hi all,

New to the forum, so hi all.

My wife has a 10 year old Puma Black, owned from new, <40k miles and a great car that has been very reliable. She can't find another car that she want's to replace it with! However, it does have one problem she wants me to fix. The centre high level brake light stopped working a couple of years ago.

I have checked that I do get a 12v signal at the brass spring loaded connector to the boot lid when the pedal is pressed so the circuit is good to that point. I have cleaned these terminals so it is not just dirt. Having taken the trim off I do not get 12v at the led unit.

My question is: Is there a control unit separate to the LED unit or does the 12v go direct to the LED unit? If there is not I will check further to find where I have an open circuit or maybe I can run a new feed past the boot hinges and connect direct into the brake light circuit.

Thanks in advance!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Pug

Pug

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: 51 Plate Puma 1.7

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Maybe try a continuity test from the boot connection to the lamp?

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,270 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

a couple of years ago :huh: should have failed an mot years ago then... if a centre brake light is fitted it must work...

#4 Pug

Pug

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: 51 Plate Puma 1.7

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

a couple of years ago :huh: should have failed an mot years ago then... if a centre brake light is fitted it must work...

Not if it's disconnected and you have two working ones.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1971 must be fitted with at least two obligatory stop lamps.

Additional stop lamps
Any additional stop lamps fitted and connected must be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users