Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got Me Stumped

DMR

Hiya all, new to the forum.

Right where to start

I have a 1.6 focus estate automatic :unsure: 2001 with 140000 miles. Car has been running fine since i bought it other than a coil pack replacement.

I'm having major issues, the car is a little hard to start takes a few turn overs to get it going sometimes takes many turns to get going, sometimes it needs a jump. Once it's started it will knock and splutter badly few 5-10 seconds till it settles itself, then it will idle perfectly fine sitting at 750rpm i can rev it fine also fairly smooth for it's age. The problem is when i stick it in Drive and try to move, it will move 30 inches then start dieing and cut out, it will knock and splutter while dieing. Also if i have the car idling fine and get a tow then the car will die within a few feet. and it's just idling not touching the throttle and it's in neutral. I have also noticed that if on the rear accashon i get the car moving (normally less than 10mph) and turn it will die.

Any ideas???

Hiya all, new to the forum.

Right where to start

I have a 1.6 focus estate automatic unsure.gif 2001 with 140000 miles. Car has been running fine since i bought it other than a coil pack replacement.

I'm having major issues, the car is a little hard to start takes a few turn overs to get it going sometimes takes many turns to get going, sometimes it needs a jump. Once it's started it will knock and splutter badly few 5-10 seconds till it settles itself, then it will idle perfectly fine sitting at 750rpm i can rev it fine also fairly smooth for it's age. The problem is when i stick it in Drive and try to move, it will move 30 inches then start dieing and cut out, it will knock and splutter while dieing. Also if i have the car idling fine and get a tow then the car will die within a few feet. and it's just idling not touching the throttle and it's in neutral. I have also noticed that if on the rear accashon i get the car moving (normally less than 10mph) and turn it will die.

Any ideas???

2 possibilities one is the vss vehicle speed sensor the other is the idle control valve it could be either or a temperature sensor onj the head baest tip get it scanned for a fault code though ide be inclined to point to the idle control valve sticking

it's already been scanned can't remember code but it's running lean bank 1

it's getting scanned again tuesday on rolling road but hard to not try things lol

I had a core plug leak so decided to fix this while i had nothing to do. just found the cylinder head temperature sensor smashed to bits and also the in dash DTC is telling me it's faulty, would this cause my problems?

it's already been scanned can't remember code but it's running lean bank 1

it's getting scanned again tuesday on rolling road but hard to not try things lol

I had a core plug leak so decided to fix this while i had nothing to do. just found the cylinder head temperature sensor smashed to bits and also the in dash DTC is telling me it's faulty, would this cause my problems?

well it could do without the info for the sensor the ecu cant regulate the fuel mixture so it could explain why ots running lean best way to find out is replace the sensor to be honest as you can guess its a major sensor and feeds the ecu a lot of info which the ecu uses to adjust fuel mixture idle speed etc etc

running lean bank one points towards an oxygen sensor.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club