Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Metal Scrapeing Noise

fiesta_lad

Hi i drive a fiesta 1.3i endure e engine petrol 51 plate. The problem i have when i brake i can hear this metal scraping noise but has soon has i take my foot of the brake it stops now ive had me mot on thurday the fella did not say notthing about me breaks has the noise was happeing a week or so before my mot so it can't be me breaks can't think what it can be any help cheers.

I would still check out the brakes, also it could be your rear drum brakes as well.

I would still check out the brakes, also it could be your rear drum brakes as well.

Ive had the rear drum breaks the shoes checked few weeks ago the guy said the shoes etc are fine all he done was clean the shoes and grease it up etc.

Believe it or not there are lazy MOT testers who won't bother reporting small jobs.

From the symptoms you've given I've definitely say you need to change your front brake pads. You can tell when you need this as there will be an increasing grinding noise when you brake, and over time you will feel the vibration from the grinding through the brake pedal.

Easy to check yourself, just take the front wheels off and check the lining on the pads, if they are thick it's something else. But from what you've described I'd say they need replacing.

Get them checked out before they start chewing your brake disks = More expensive job! :P

Let us know how you get on.

Believe it or not there are lazy MOT testers who won't bother reporting small jobs.

From the symptoms you've given I've definitely say you need to change your front brake pads. You can tell when you need this as there will be an increasing grinding noise when you brake, and over time you will feel the vibration from the grinding through the brake pedal.

Easy to check yourself, just take the front wheels off and check the lining on the pads, if they are thick it's something else. But from what you've described I'd say they need replacing.

Get them checked out before they start chewing your brake disks = More expensive job! :P

Let us know how you get on.

Hello luke thanks for the reply mate is there any sort of tools i need not to take the wheel off :lol::lol: but to check the break pad or can i just take the wheel off and do a visual look without takeing things to bits cheers.

Had exactly this on my Mk4. Was MOT'd and serviced and was given the all clear.

Front brakes made a scraping noise and it turned out that the discs and pads were worn beyond their recommended limits. The scraping was actually the corroded edge of the disc (which hadn't worn down as much as the area swept by the pads) rubbing on the calipers and pads.

With the wheel off you should be able to see state of the discs quite easily.

Had exactly this on my Mk4. Was MOT'd and serviced and was given the all clear.

Front brakes made a scraping noise and it turned out that the discs and pads were worn beyond their recommended limits. The scraping was actually the corroded edge of the disc (which hadn't worn down as much as the area swept by the pads) rubbing on the calipers and pads.

With the wheel off you should be able to see state of the discs quite easily.

I will have a look tomorrow i heared if the disc are scored then ive got to replace the disc and pads hopefully its just the pads.

I will have a look tomorrow i heared if the disc are scored then ive got to replace the disc and pads hopefully its just the pads.

If its solid (non-vented) discs like mine was, then its not actually that expensive. Seem to remember paying less than £50 for all the parts (pads and discs) in Halfords.

If its solid (non-vented) discs like mine was, then its not actually that expensive. Seem to remember paying less than £50 for all the parts (pads and discs) in Halfords.

There solid discs how easy is to change and what size and tools do i need cheers.

There solid discs how easy is to change and what size and tools do i need cheers.

The size just came out of the little guide on the shelf at Halfords.

As for tools, I was at a mates (using him and the tools) so I'm not entirely sure what we had, but if you've got a basic tool kits (ratchet, sockets, etc) you should have everything you need - don't remember having to use any special tools.

The size just came out of the little guide on the shelf at Halfords.

As for tools, I was at a mates (using him and the tools) so I'm not entirely sure what we had, but if you've got a basic tool kits (ratchet, sockets, etc) you should have everything you need - don't remember having to use any special tools.

Cheers m8 ive got none of them tools :lol: have to get some funny thing tho just been the shops then the car has been stood scence 6.30pm last night has i breaked i did not hear notthing break again notthing no noise then breaked again and the noise come back which i think is abit werid so iam thinking do you think something is sticking.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club