Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Install Rear Parking Sensors

hawker

I installed rear parking sensors in the missus' car about a year ago (Citroen Xsara Picasso), and found it a pretty easy job. I got the ultrasonic type (the ones that you see the round sensors drilled into the bumper)

A while back I bought an electomagnetic type which involves no drilling of the bumper. Its basically a foil strip that you stick to the inside of the bumper.

My questions are

1. How easy is it to remove the back bumper? Is there a guide anywhere?

2. I need to get power and earth from the reverse light bulb. What wire going into the reverse light bulb specifically do i need to splice to get power, and where is the best point to get earth from?

Has anyone actually fitted a rear parking sensor on their focus? How did you find the task? Are there nice channels that wires can be tucked away neatly etc.?

Thanks

I installed rear parking sensors in the missus' car about a year ago (Citroen Xsara Picasso), and found it a pretty easy job. I got the ultrasonic type (the ones that you see the round sensors drilled into the bumper)

A while back I bought an electomagnetic type which involves no drilling of the bumper. Its basically a foil strip that you stick to the inside of the bumper.

I've got them front and back,first had them on the Volvo S40. Wife insisted she wanted them on the Focus, so I just took the two PA ECU's from the S40, and bought all the other kit for both set ups circa £26 all in.

My questions are

1. How easy is it to remove the back bumper? Is there a guide anywhere?

No need to remove the rear bumper mate, I just laid on my back under the car, my short drive slopes upwards to the pavement, which then slopes ever so slightly down to the road, so that made it easier by positioning the rear of the car there. Or you could just pop the rear axle on a couple of axle stands. But at 63 years old I have a bit of a belly on me [ its an age thing, and spending most of my time sat at the PC :rolleyes: ] and I managed. Anyway clean the whole length of the rear of the bumper just below where the rubbing strip is situated [where your going to a fix the antenna]. It has a wire harness clip set up on it, supplying the rear fog light supply.

Right,your going to fix the antenna from right to left [ when viewed laid on you back under the car, reversing light side] wrapping it around the bumper a bit [but at least 20cm away from the rear tyres] Running the antenna around the both sides of the bumper, means it will pick up obstacles to the side of the bumpers if your reversing line is off a bit....or your a girl :P

So fix the antenna as near to the rear of that rubber bumper set up, but leave enough space to allow you to go over the antenna for its full length with duck tape. [stops the antenna coming lose and also it will protect it from the elements, but it is really clean up there, but it's considered best practice] Mount the sensor ECU behind the boot lining NS rear, pick up the earth connection for the ECU feed in that area via a bolt on the bulkhead. Shove the live feed and the wire that connects to the antenna through a grommeted hole [already there]. Connect antenna wire, then cover and secure it to the bumper [i used that black sticky gunge stuff that come with the kit [ same stuff you use to fix the ECU to the bulkhead in the boot space.

2. I need to get power and earth from the reverse light bulb. What wire going into the reverse light bulb specifically do i need to splice to get power, and where is the best point to get earth from?

I then spliced into the reversing light feed behind the rear bumper[that way I knew I was getting the right wire, and not the one for the rear fog light if I attempted to make the connection in the boot]

I also run the speaker wires behind the boot side covering then poked the wire through to the bottom of the rear seat near the NS rear door. You know where that little bits and bobs place is at the end of the seat near to the door. Well I just fixed the speaker there, it's not noticed and not in danger of being knocked off its perch, but you can certainly here it.

Has anyone actually fitted a rear parking sensor on their focus? How did you find the task? Are there nice channels that wires can be tucked away neatly etc.?

Thanks

Yes :D

Cheers (yet again) catch mate. :D

The one i got split into 2 strips of foil, and these are meant to be positioned at least 6 inches or so apart, so shouldnt be a problem fitting them above+below the rubber strip line.

How do you find these "stick on" electromagnetic types perform?

Are they pretty reliable and trustworthy?

I've heard they can give false warnings when its raining.

If these perform just as well as the ultrasonic (drilled) types, then I'm amazed the car manufacturers dont use these instead. Perhaps its because they actually want everyone to notice that their car has them fitted.

Cheers (yet again) catch mate. :D

The one i got split into 2 strips of foil, and these are meant to be positioned at least 6 inches or so apart, so shouldnt be a problem fitting them above+below the rubber strip line.

They send you two antenna in the pack, but in most cases you only need the one. They recommend fitting the spare one if there is a big lump of metal near where the antenna runs. One is fine for the rear bumper on the Focus. But I played safe on the front bumper [because of the proximity of the crash bar] and ran the two of them. Are you using the parking dynamics kit, like I am ?

How do you find these "stick on" electromagnetic types perform?

Excellent

Are they pretty reliable and trustworthy?

Yes, in fact I would not entertain the ultrasonics give the option. You only need one of the ultrasonics to fail, and you have to faff about finding out which one it is. Plus as they are electromagnetic, a strip of foil behind the bumper what's to fail ? Cannot say that about ultrasonics, and no muck issues like you can have with the ultrasonics. Plus nobody knows you have these on the car, does not spoil the look of the car. Plus you can take them car to car when you sell it if you want to. Besides in the unlikely event that they failed if they did you will know, because you will not hear the "Self Test" beep when you activate them.

I've heard they can give false warnings when its raining.

You probably read the same stuff I did on researching them, heard that said about the ultrasonics as well.

They can become more sensitive [and that is only in very heavy rain, had it happen once in well over a year of use] But they immediately adjust to the prevailing weather conditions. Besides it's better to be over sensitive than the opposite, and end up stuffing you into a wall.

If these perform just as well as the ultrasonic (drilled) types, then I'm amazed the car manufacturers dont use these instead. Perhaps its because they actually want everyone to notice that their car has them fitted.

No idea, but could not careless.

I will post you up some test numbers when I have time. You know, reversing or going forward up against a stone wall, a BMW Mini................trust me they are excellent.

Parking Dynamics rings a bell catch. I bought the kit off eBay over a year ago, and cant remember for sure.

I was going to fit it on my previous car (a Celica). I installed a reversing camera, and bought it to fit on there, but since the arrival of my baby boy 14 months ago, I decided to sell the celica (as my back couldnt take getting him in+out of a baby seat in the back) so I held back fitting the sensor kit for my next car, which happens to by my Focus! :P

Now its just finding the "get up and go" to get the job done.

As for splicing the reverse bulb wire, are the wires logically coloured (eg. black and white) was it obvious which wire was the +ve. Can you recall which?

cheers butty!

Parking Dynamics rings a bell catch. I bought the kit off ebay over a year ago, and cant remember for sure.

sounds like them, I bought mine off them back in Jan 2009 via eBay
As for splicing the reverse bulb wire, are the wires logically coloured (eg. black and white) was it obvious which wire was the +ve. Can you recall which?

cheers butty!

Nope, but whatever colour the earth wire is [on the bulkhead earth bolt] it ain't that one, and there is only two wires going to the lamp :D

Nope, but whatever colour the earth wire is [on the bulkhead earth bolt] it ain't that one, and there is only two wires going to the lamp :D

I'll cut the other one then :lol:

I'll cut the other one then :lol:

:D

You cannot bugger ow't up

:D

You cannot bugger ow't up

You obviously don't know me very well!

:lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club