66 replies to this topic

#16 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 2009

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

I am running the 17" "Streetpack" alloys and 2 have buckled. The vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds was bordering on dangerous. I replaced the first wheel that buckled (£160). I thought that was maybe a one off but recently a second alloy has buckled. I got it balanced and put it on the rear but now the vibration at motorway speed passes through the whole vehicle structure, producing an uncomfortable "buffeting" sound. Im not happy as I payed £400 for the optional "Streetpack" and now I have to shell out an extra £160 for each alloy which buckles. I have also been very careful with potholes etc etc

contact Farin by email or phone:- her email address is farin.roberts@bbc.co.uk or you can call her on 020 8008 3459

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 pHiLLMaTiC

pHiLLMaTiC

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium Mk7

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

contact Farin by email or phone:- her email address is farin.roberts@bbc.co.uk or you can call her on 020 8008 3459

If everyone with this issue can contact Farin as above we may just get somewhere

#18 sparticus5

sparticus5

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6Ti-VCT

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

Just a thought: Those of you who replaced their factory fitted 16" alloys with the 15" from Halford's bargain basement bin - that's a pretty major modification to Ford's original specification. Did you clear this with your insurance before replacing the wheels / tyres? You might find you're not fully covered if you haven't informed your insurance of this change.

#19 pHiLLMaTiC

pHiLLMaTiC

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

Just a thought: Those of you who replaced their factory fitted 16" alloys with the 15" from Halford's bargain basement bin - that's a pretty major modification to Ford's original specification. Did you clear this with your insurance before replacing the wheels / tyres? You might find you're not fully covered if you haven't informed your insurance of this change.

I changed mine to a 15" Ford Mk 7 wheels but I also checked this out with my insurance company and they were only concerned if the cost of the alloy exceeded 1000 but that is my insurance company only so I would agree you need to check with your own. The overall wheel diameter is more or less the same but my main concern was that changing wheel size would affect the Speedometer considerably (as I've heard about Ford trying to demand reprogramming costs for wheel change size) but there is a website you can check to calculate what difference it makes and basically it was 1% so when it says I'm doing 60mph i'm actually doing something like 59.4mph.

#20 Hen Pecked

Hen Pecked

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

It would be helpful if members with the buckling wheel problem, where to list the type and size of the alloys and also the type of tyre fitted.

I am beginning to suspect that this may be more to do with the low profile tyre.

If Fords have fitted a stiff low profile, this would result in more stress on the alloys. I have never like low profile even though they give better grip in corners. They are over priced, do not last as long as high profiles and give a harsher ride.

The more information in the public domain, the better.

#21 pHiLLMaTiC

pHiLLMaTiC

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

It would be helpful if members with the buckling wheel problem, where to list the type and size of the alloys and also the type of tyre fitted.

I am beginning to suspect that this may be more to do with the low profile tyre.

If Fords have fitted a stiff low profile, this would result in more stress on the alloys. I have never like low profile even though they give better grip in corners. They are over priced, do not last as long as high profiles and give a harsher ride.

The more information in the public domain, the better.

Mine were Continentals 195/45/R16 on a 16" 15 Spoke MK7 Alloy

#22 Oldbaggie

Oldbaggie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta Titanium

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

I have a Titanium with 16" x 6.5 15 spoke alloys and Continental 195/45 tyres. Just been informed 3 of these are badly buckled and have to be replaced.

#23 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

The tyres on smiley are 195 45 16 Conti Premium Contact 2's

The fronts are nearly worn (3mm)

The rears have 4.5 to 5mm on them.

Jamie

#24 Oldbaggie

Oldbaggie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta Titanium

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:50 AM

Watchdog are interested in this matter, so please contact them via details on posts above. The reply I received from them regarding the mail I sent confirmed this.

#25 pHiLLMaTiC

pHiLLMaTiC

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:35 AM

The latest update I have is that I made a formal complaint to Ford, They asked me to take the alloys into my local dealer for inspection (they are no longer on the car), at this point it seems that they were taking the matter seriously.

I got a letter back following a telephone call on Wednesday advising that as my Fiesta Titanium is now 18 months old, they will not be compensating me for my loss. They confirmed in writing that the alloys are only covered under warranty for 12 months and I should refer my complaint to the non Ford dealer I bought the car from (Thus washing their hands of the issue). I was under the impression Alloys had no warranty period but I have it in writing that they do. When I questioned the adviser in the call about people who had their alloys replaced for free she said this would have been a goodwill gesture by the dealer.

Therefore I'm going to take this further as clearly the alloys are not fit for purpose and Ford are trying to deny responsibility for this (Any advice going forward would be appreciated) but I thought it's worth letting everyone know who has had to shell out for the Alloys that if you had them replaced within 12 months that you have some stance to get a refund or have them replaced free, although I expect the next comeback they will have is because of wear and tear but its worth a shot.

#26 BHeart

BHeart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: 7.5 Titanium 5 Dr,1.0 80PS Race Red

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi

I have had my Fiesta Zetec for nearly a month now and prior to buying it and since owning it, I have taken a great interest in the problem with the 'buckling' alloy wheels and the cheap fitted radial tyres.

I upgraded my factory 15" alloys to the 16" 7 spoke option with 16" Hancook tyres and I don't know if ALL Ford alloy wheels are affected?

I also think that if it is eventually proven that the Ford alloy wheels are not of merchantible quality and fit for the purpose they were made for, then they should be replaced FOC by Ford even if the car is over a 12 months old.

At the moment, I've not come across any real issues with the car but it seems that the big issue regarding the alloys is waiting for me a few months down the line, so I will be interested to see how BBC Watchdog view this ongoing problem.

Does anyone know if this problem with 'buckling alloys' only affects the Fiesta, or does it also affect the Focus, KA etc.

Thanks, BHeart

#27 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hi

Rang ford today to tell them about the buckles in my alloy wheels.

They are not entertaining my claim as i have driven the car knowing that they had buckles in them even though my dealer said it was still safe to do so.

Iam not happy

Jamie

#28 markm92668

markm92668

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6TDCi

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

I've just got back from the tyre fitters and I'm not happy. I've just been told that my two front wheels are severely buckled. Asked them not to check the back! I don't understand how it's happened, I've not hit a kurb or a pothole! Not impressed!!

I've just emailed Farin at the BBC, I'll wait and see if I get a reply!

Got a reply. Sadly it's no longer being investigated by Watchdog. Looks like its down to us mugs to fork out to solve a problem which is probably just going to reoccur!

Edited by markm92668, 07 December 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#29 Raizak

Raizak

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S (MK7)

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

How can i tell if my alloys are buckled? I only bought my Fiesta in September and this concerns me greatly, i have the 16" 5 spoke alloys!

#30 Allenysm82

Allenysm82

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: Ka Mk2 Zetec TDCi

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Does anyone know if this problem with 'buckling alloys' only affects the Fiesta, or does it also affect the Focus, KA etc.

Thanks, BHeart

It does affect the Mk2 model Ka, which I have, and has 5-spoke 16"alloy wheels, in fact I'm going to Dagenham Motors tonight for the 3rd time to have it out with them over my buckled alloys and I've only owned the car for a month!

I had the 1.4 petrol Fiesta Zetec with 8-spoke 15" wheels from October 09-10 and never had a single problem with the car, changed to the diesel Ka to save money on travel (I do a lot of motorway miles) and it's been a nightmare since day one. I took it back a week after having it because the car was pulling to the left, mechanic phones me within an hour and tells me both front alloys are buckled and the inside edge of the tires also need replacing as a result. I said I'd only bought it last week and subsequently got a callback in an hour from the rep who sold me it saying that they'd replace one wheel for free and the tracking was indeed out, but that the other wheel and tires were fine - so who's telling the truth right?

Another week passes and I take it back because the car still pulls to the left, they say the tracking is out again, try to charge me to fix it (I refused and they accepted as it was an ongoing problem), but it still isn't right. Changing to this car was a bad idea, can't wait to change back to the Fiesta. I don't think it's a coincidence that almost all the used Mk7 Fiestas available on the Dagenham Motors website are Titanium models with the alloy wheels you're all describing.

Hoping I won't get modded for my kind of-on, kind of-off topic reply, long-time reader first-time poster!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users