Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Buy Newer Model Or Lower Miles?

Alkydale

Hello, just scrapped a Rover 25 due to a blown head gasket and decided on a Fiesta 1.4 tdci due to low tax and good MPG as I'm off to university as a (very) mature student. I don't know what is the better option so would like some advice please.

Option 1 '55 (05) reg with 95,000 miles and FSH £2800

Option 2 '53 reg 86,000 miles, new turbo just fitted £2,495

Option 3 '02 reg 23,000 miles £3250

Option 4 '55 (06) 99,000 miles £3490

Am I best to go for a newer version with more miles or an older one with less? How long will an engine last and can a cam belt really last 150,000 miles?

Thank you for your anticipated help.

Ed

personally I would go for the one with lower milage as the engine is more likely to be in better nick, at the 100,000 miles mark things tend to start going wrong. Having said that it largly depends on the way the cars been driven.

somebody who has respected the car for 100,000 miles could have one like new, somebody who thrashed it for 100,000 miles could have an emissions failure on their hands :P

a cam belt could last 150,000 HOWEVER ford recommend they are changed at about 100,000 or 10 years and haynes recommend even less (about 70,000 i think)

the reason for this is that if a cam belt snaps it can and probably will cause catastrophic engine failure (as the engine will continue to run when the cams and valves have stopped)

ask yourself, is it worth pushing the most out of a belt and risk writing off the car?? when the belt is changed the pullys and tensioners should also be changed becuase its usually the tensioner that fails causing the belt to snap.

hope this helps :)

I would probably go with option 3 and if its a trade sale push them to change the belt as part of the sale. I wouldn't touch anything with a turbo, just in case and as has been mentioned 100,000 mile cars can start to go wrong. The engine maybe sound but there is suspension, brakes and all the rest of it that is being worn out.

Sorry to hear about your Rover! Those K-Series engines do have a bad rep for head gaskets (our 216's is on it's way out at the moment) but this isn't mg-rover.org so lets get back to the point! :lol:

As long as the car has been well maintained age or millage is irrelevant in my opinion. I'd go for option 2 as it's just had a new turbo and as long as it has been well maintained it is a good cheap car!

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm off to see Option 3 tomorrow, it has 23,000 miles, 1 lady owner, new tyres 3,000 miles ago and has had a full Ford service every year. It's a private sale, car is said to be immaculate so tomorrow I may be a Fiesta owner!

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm off to see Option 3 tomorrow, it has 23,000 miles, 1 lady owner, new tyres 3,000 miles ago and has had a full Ford service every year. It's a private sale, car is said to be immaculate so tomorrow I may be a Fiesta owner!

Cheers.

end up buying it?

end up buying it?

Hello! yes I did I'm glad to say and so far very pleased. Some toe rag has taken the door trim off the passenger door already when I was parked near the university though. It drives really well and apart from a couple of dings here and there is in great nick, the inside being like new, oh and it has a heated front screen which i didn't expect!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Just from my own experience (as long as its not clocked) the lower mile option would be my choice ,, Even if you are good at the mechanical side of things --its always no harm to bring a friend who knows a bit as they may spot something that you miss.

Best of luck with whatever car you get :)

A bit late with advice --I should've read all posts ---But really hope you got a good one:)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club