Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Window Washer Not Functioning

macydee

Hello,

Just bought a 54 plate Focus Zetec Hatchback. The front window washers work fine, however no water comes out of the rear washer. There is a gurgling noise which seems to eminate from the rear left (passenger side) headlining area near to the boot. Removed the high level light and the pipe is connected to rear of jet. The pipe still seems intact through the rubber boot / elbow in the boot hinge. Where does the pipe run from there, and how is it accessed? Any photos, diagrams would be fantastic....don't have any water leaking into car internals, so assume its leaking and running to the outside somewhere...

Thanks,

Lee

• Like 1

Hello,

Just bought a 54 plate Focus Zetec Hatchback. The front window washers work fine, however no water comes out of the rear washer. There is a gurgling noise which seems to eminate from the rear left (passenger side) headlining area near to the boot. Removed the high level light and the pipe is connected to rear of jet. The pipe still seems intact through the rubber boot / elbow in the boot hinge. Where does the pipe run from there, and how is it accessed? Any photos, diagrams would be fantastic....don't have any water leaking into car internals, so assume its leaking and running to the outside somewhere...

Thanks,

Lee

its glued to the roof lining so to access you need to drop the roof lining if its gurgling it could just be frozen the hose sits right up agaunst the bare skin of the roof so will always freeze

• Like 1

Generally, if the rear washer jet isn't working, it'll be one of three causes:

1) The washer fluid is low.

2) The jet is frozen.

3) The jet is blocked.

My wife's Fiesta had a very similar problem. I could hear the pump running and the washer bottle was full. I disconnected a pipe near the bottle and washer fluid came spurting out. I disconnected the pipe at the jet on the tailgate and once again, washer fluid pumped out fine, so I knew it was the jet itself, which I cleaned out with some lime-scale cleaner, a brush and a pin.

The moral off the story is that it's likely to be something simple, so go through everything methodically, ruling things out as you go.

Hope this helps (and apologies if it looks like I'm trying to teach anyone to suck eggs - that's not my intention!).

Thanks all - problem solved.

Pipe was disconnected under the roof lining just prior to it entering the rubber elbow grommet in the boot hinge.

Lee

• 2 years later...

Generally, if the rear washer jet isn't working, it'll be one of three causes:

1) The washer fluid is low.

2) The jet is frozen.

3) The jet is blocked.

My wife's Fiesta had a very similar problem. I could hear the pump running and the washer bottle was full. I disconnected a pipe near the bottle and washer fluid came spurting out. I disconnected the pipe at the jet on the tailgate and once again, washer fluid pumped out fine, so I knew it was the jet itself, which I cleaned out with some lime-scale cleaner, a brush and a pin.

The moral off the story is that it's likely to be something simple, so go through everything methodically, ruling things out as you go.

Hope this helps (and apologies if it looks like I'm trying to teach anyone to suck eggs - that's not my intention!).

Kind Sir, Your egg sucking tutorial has saved me some time by pointing me to a known variable. Unknown until I found your post. I'm hoping my 2012 Focus SEL 5 door has the rear washer tube running along the roof. Solution does not pump onto the rear windscreen but I hear it running and it's full and the jet is not clogged. However, I have had to make a headliner adjustment for a vibrating noise in cold weather and will look there first before I remove the RF inner fender liner to start the methodical diagnostics of the tubing. I didnt really want to bump the thread but did not want to PM as there would be no context. Thanks from the country without a government but I bet the spies are still hard at work.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club