Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Have A Leak...

suddste

Noticed a oil leak of some kind. It's a clear type and is sort of sticky, here are a few images, the white cylinder shaped thing is a oil filter I think. There are drips every 10 seconds and it's worrying me

DSCF1072.jpg

DSCF1073.jpg

DSCF1074.jpg

Any ideas?

There is a clicking noise audible outside, could this be gearbox oil and this has now damaged the gears?

looks like coolant.

look at the last picture, in the top left above the oil filter i can see a load of pink deposit which is from the coolant

can you get us a better picture of around that area

looks like coolant.

look at the last picture, in the top left above the oil filter i can see a load of pink deposit which is from the coolant

can you get us a better picture of around that area

yeah, just went out and got one, here it is:

DSCF1075.jpg

given the colour of the liquid in the last pic you just took thats about to drip off the sump, the leak you have is coolant.

And heres where it appears to be leaking from or thereabouts

DSCF1074-1.jpg

given the colour of the liquid in the last pic you just took thats about to drip off the sump, the leak you have is coolant.

And heres where it appears to be leaking from or thereabouts

DSCF1074-1.jpg

any ideas as to the fix? Will it be a lot, can I find the leak and possibly do it my self?

any ideas as to the fix? Will it be a lot, can I find the leak and possibly do it my self?

can you get your camera into the area i have circled in red? cant see much as the oil filter is blocking the camera.

I dont see why you couldnt repair yourself

can you get your camera into the area i have circled in red? cant see much as the oil filter is blocking the camera.

I dont see why you couldnt repair yourself

it's quite dark now, i'll have to try it in the morning and post here tommorow

hold on stef123, I have a photo a while back at the top of the engine block that is unexplained, uploading the image now, may take a while

hold on stef123, I have a photo a while back at the top of the engine block that is unexplained, uploading the image now, may take a while

will look back in 10 minutes, its food time anyway :lol:

(See to the left of the image, left of the dipstick)

DSCF0963.jpg

are you referring to the black inlet manifold? i can see a clean area. i wouldnt say its related to your slight coolant leak.

are you referring to the black inlet manifold? i can see a clean area. i wouldnt say its related to your slight coolant leak.

ok, thanks, it's for certain a coolant leak? Is this a common problem at 44,000mls?

ok, thanks, it's for certain a coolant leak? Is this a common problem at 44,000mls?

from what you have shown, i would say so. the pink residue is most certainly left behind by coolant. If you can work out where the coolant is weeping from we should be able to help you out with regards to fixing it. not heard of many focus mk1.5's with coolant leaks, certainly not from that area.

have you had to top the coolant up at all? also whats the level at just now?

from what you have shown, i would say so. the pink residue is most certainly left behind by coolant. If you can work out where the coolant is weeping from we should be able to help you out with regards to fixing it. not heard of many focus mk1.5's with coolant leaks, certainly not from that area.

have you had to top the coolant up at all? also whats the level at just now?

Thanks for the help, I will check tommorow under the bonnet for the coolant levels, the bottle did seem a bit dirty and the coolant was orange, not pink, not sure if this means that the pink fluid is not the coolant.

Thanks for the help, I will check tommorow under the bonnet for the coolant levels, the bottle did seem a bit dirty and the coolant was orange, not pink, not sure if this means that the pink fluid is not the coolant.

It could be that the pink residue is from some time ago and that is has been replaced since. the liquid about to drip from the sump does look like coolant also.

It could be that the pink residue is from some time ago and that is has been replaced since. the liquid about to drip from the sump does look like coolant also.

ok, thanks.

I wonder if these things are related:

-at idle the heat does not come out as much, I know the heat comes from coolant

-and could the clicking noise possibly be a water pump noise, relating to the leak?

And one question, if I take it to my local garage, how much do you expect it wouild cost?

ok, thanks.

I wonder if these things are related:

-at idle the heat does not come out as much, I know the heat comes from coolant

-and could the clicking noise possibly be a water pump noise, relating to the leak?

And one question, if I take it to my local garage, how much do you expect it wouild cost?

From the pictures i would rule out the water pump, the location of the water pump is on the left hand side of the engine and to me it would be weeping at that side.

If the system has air in it, then it is possible that the heater wont be as hot as it should.

A local garage might well have a look at the car for free in hope that they get to fix it, but it really depends on what needs done. It could be as easy as something needing tightened.

get us some more pictures of the affected, as i said if you can trace it to where its coming from then we should be able to help fix it.

From the pictures i would rule out the water pump, the location of the water pump is on the left hand side of the engine and to me it would be weeping at that side.

If the system has air in it, then it is possible that the heater wont be as hot as it should.

A local garage might well have a look at the car for free in hope that they get to fix it, but it really depends on what needs done. It could be as easy as something needing tightened.

get us some more pictures of the affected, as i said if you can trace it to where its coming from then we should be able to help fix it.

ok, thanks. I'll try and find the leak source tommorow.

You may hate me for doing this, but took it to the garage and they say it's the thermostat leaking. They say they need to take the alternator and air conditioning pump out to do it. Not an easy job they say, I have read about this and is it really a hard job, is all this nessesary?

To get to the thermostat? I dont believe so? however the price seems about right...

Take a look at the below, one of them may enable you to buy the part and fit it yourself, otherwise you could just buy the part and take it to a garage if necessary. However removing the other bits seems a little excessive.

http://www.focushacks.com/?modid=59&ht=Replacing%20the%20thermostat%20and/or%20thermostat%20housing

http://fordfocusworld.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=963

To get to the thermostat? I dont believe so? however the price seems about right...

Take a look at the below, one of them may enable you to buy the part and fit it yourself, otherwise you could just buy the part and take it to a garage if necessary. However removing the other bits seems a little excessive.

http://www.focushack...ostat%20housing

http://fordfocusworl....php?f=39&t=963

do youreself a favour and find out how much ford wil take to do it you may find youre better having it done there take out alternator and aircon for a thermostat is !Removed! mate ford will do it without touching those parts

It's there now, though, hopefully they will ring back today. If not i'll ring them up to see if I can collect it

got it back, cost £190.

Could this coolant leak have caused any damage? The coolant was below the minimum marker on the tank. But I do check the temperature guage on the dash and it was always in the middle.

So they replaced the housing, and presumably topped up the coolant?

Unfortunately the tempp gauge wont always indicate a leak in the thermostat housing, as long as the engine is kept to a reasonable temperature then it will still appear ok, but the leak is still present.

So they replaced the housing, and presumably topped up the coolant?

Unfortunately the tempp gauge wont always indicate a leak in the thermostat housing, as long as the engine is kept to a reasonable temperature then it will still appear ok, but the leak is still present.

On the invoice it lists antifreeze, thermostat housing, connection, and seal

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club