Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steel Wheels For Alloys

George Lawrence

Can anyone help, I have a 53 plate mondeo 2ltr tdci 130 ghia x auto estate.

I would like to change the alloys for steel rims,but have no idea what size

rims and tyres i should be looking for, any help would be appreciated.

also do i need new nuts.

Cheers

George

Can anyone help, I have a 53 plate mondeo 2ltr tdci 130 ghia x auto estate.

I would like to change the alloys for steel rims,but have no idea what size

rims and tyres i should be looking for, any help would be appreciated.

also do i need new nuts.

Cheers

George

Hi,

you will need new nuts with flat lips on them instead of the beveled edge ones that are on the car for the alloys mate,

also look at the tyre side wall it will have a code such as ''215/45R17 87Y''

for example:

145 is the measurment in mm from outer sidewall to inside sidewall i.e. how fat the tyre is

45 is the aspect ratio or the height of the tire measured from bead to the top of the tread expressed as a percentage of the section widith, i.e. 45% of 215mm

R means the construction of the tyre i.e. Radial

17 is the diameter of the actual alloy wheel, soon to be the same in a steel wheel size.

87 is the load index which tells you how much weight the tire can carry at specific inflation pressures.

Y This letter, be it an V, Y, W or whatever is the "speed rating" and indicates how fast the tire can travel under test conditions some are rated for 100mph others 130mph depending on make of tyre i.e. Bridgestone, etc.

best to try and get steel rims the exact size of your alloys so if your tyres say R17 then you need 17inch steel rims mate.

if your existing tyres are in proper order you can get them transfered on to the new steel rims and get the mileage out of them,

scrappy can supply steel rims, simple wire brush and a lick of black metal paint, nice set of hub caps from eBay and 4 tiewraps to hold them on,

get 4 rims, nuts, tie wraps, can of black paint, wire brush and hub caps all in for around £70-£80

Thanks Lenny, very informative. I am glad there are people out there to help novices likr me

Cheers

George

Thanks Lenny, very informative. I am glad there are people out there to help novices likr me

Cheers

George

We all novice at somthing mate,

happy to be of assistance, just cant figure out why you want steel rims, as the alloy wheels are lighter and more fuel effiecent,

unless your fitting winter tyres,

Hi Lenny, I have 18 inch 10 spoke rims not in the best condition.Iwill soon need 2 rear tyres and the front 2 are leaking on the rims. I have had these re-sealed but still they leak.I was hoping to put smaller steel rims with larger tyres on as I am a Decorator and use the motor for work. Then when I have the readies have the alloys sorted out.

George

Hi Lenny, I have 18 inch 10 spoke rims not in the best condition.Iwill soon need 2 rear tyres and the front 2 are leaking on the rims. I have had these re-sealed but still they leak.I was hoping to put smaller steel rims with larger tyres on as I am a Decorator and use the motor for work. Then when I have the readies have the alloys sorted out.

George

you may fit 16 inch mate depending on the ride height of the car,

maybe talk to a tyre fitting place for advise on the lowest size, then leav and do it yourself,

free advise B)

Standard fitment 16" steel wheels take a 205/55/16, the 17" alloys take a 205/50/17 and the 18" alloys take a 225/40/18 those all have the same rolling radius +/- a bit

• 5 weeks later...

Standard fitment 16" steel wheels take a 205/55/16, the 17" alloys take a 205/50/17 and the 18" alloys take a 225/40/18 those all have the same rolling radius +/- a bit

Thanks for this info. I have also been told that i can go for 15 inch rims with 195/65/15 tyres, this does'nt sound right to me, what is your opinion.

Cheers

George

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club