Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V 4 Way Adaptors = Knackered Battery?

Emme

Hi all,

I have been contemplating one of these for the Zetec S when she finally arrives.

I'm wondering if I have 4 chargers plugged in at once will this cause the battery any problems? Is it likely to cause significant power drain?

I have always had older cars and one of these would probably have killed them :)

Thanks in advance all,

Em x

the drain on the battery is measured in amp hours and is the total amps attached multiplied by the number of hours they are on for

for example, 2 hours use of having an adapter with 4 small items, say at 1 amp each, will drain 8Ah (2hr x 4A)

which is less than teh same amount of time with just one bigger item,say 10 amps, draining 20Ah (2hr x 10A)

its a bit like household multi-plug adapters, they dont cause fires, overloading sockets with high drain appliances (often using those adapters as a method) cause fires.

btw the fuse in the cigar lighter socket is at 10 amps max

the drain on the battery is measured in amp hours and is the total amps attached multiplied by the number of hours they are on for

for example, 2 hours use of having an adapter with 4 small items, say at 1 amp each, will drain 8Ah (2hr x 4A)

which is less than teh same amount of time with just one bigger item,say 10 amps, draining 20Ah (2hr x 10A)

its a bit like household multi-plug adapters, they dont cause fires, overloading sockets with high drain appliances (often using those adapters as a method) cause fires.

btw the fuse in the cigar lighter socket is at 10 amps max

I'm sorry but I don't follow. Always was bad at maths :(

Are you saying the adaptor is a bad idea and a potential fire hazzard?

What are you plugging in that requires 4 cig lighter adapters?

Satnav and phone will draw milliamps at 5v so won't be a problem but if you're plugging stuff like heaters or crap in there will be issues.

What are you plugging in that requires 4 cig lighter adapters?

Satnav and phone will draw milliamps at 5v so won't be a problem but if you're plugging stuff like heaters or crap in there will be issues.

On rare occasions when I take my two Nephews and my Niece out for the day. There could be a sat nav charger, an ipad charger, a 3ds charger and a in car heated lumbar support cushion.

So I need to find out what the voltages are?

Em x

If they're designed to run off a car then they will all be 12 volts, the more important part is the amps they draw from the car.

Things like satnav and 3ds charger should be low draw, ipad should not be bad either but the heated cushion may pull a lot more(but shouldn't draw any more than a standard heated seat would).

As long as all the adaptors are pulling down less than 10 amps between them you should be fine, just don't run them all for excessive time when the ignition is off as obviously the battery is not being topped up.

The biggest things for discharging batteries fast are power inverters which take 12 volts and bung out 220 - 240 volts.

If the car's not running they will drain a battery down very quickly.

If they're designed to run off a car then they will all be 12 volts, the more important part is the amps they draw from the car.

Things like satnav and 3ds charger should be low draw, ipad should not be bad either but the heated cushion may pull a lot more(but shouldn't draw any more than a standard heated seat would).

As long as all the adaptors are pulling down less than 10 amps between them you should be fine, just don't run them all for excessive time when the ignition is off as obviously the battery is not being topped up.

The biggest things for discharging batteries fast are power inverters which take 12 volts and bung out 220 - 240 volts.

If the car's not running they will drain a battery down very quickly.

Thats great thanks, it would be on rare occasions and I always unplug when car ignition is off for security.

Thanks again for your invaluable help

Em x

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club