Show
Photo

Had The Car Mapped

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 TDCiST

TDCiST

No Smoke No Poke... Unless you have a DPF!

• 1,681 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Ah "No Smoke No Poke"... works well for older diesels, but shouldn't be the case on new ones... the more black smoke, the higher the EGT's... and thats not good when they start getting high!

A light mist or haze is normal, but i wouldnt expect a decent map to smoke heavily under harsh acceleration.. Not with what is at the fingertips of the mapper,. fuel, boost, injection timing, injection duration yadda yadda yadda...

Luckily you dont have a DPF on your generation of focus... as it takes an experienced mapper to tune a DPF fitted diesel, as there is no smoke to go "Oooops ive gone too far" hence why a modern diesel shouldn't smoke too much more than ususal...

I mean what are we talking here? a massive black cloud? or only something you notice in the dark when headlights are behind you?? if you dont notice clouds of the devils dust behind you during daylight, i wouldnt say it was too much of an issue...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Name: martin
  • Ford Model: focus titanium x/comms/sports pack
  • Year: 2008

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Not big blacj clouds no, I do get clouds tho yes, when under harsh kick all cars behind seem to back off, look in rear view n there is smoke, more noticable at dusk yes, but daylight also.... Tbh thats y I chose the 1.8 due to fact of no dpf.... Shall I just try some cleaning treatment and go from there?

#18 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,978 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

It can't hurt to lob in a can of BG244 or Wynns.

#19 Pete80

Pete80

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 259 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Ford Mondeo Titanium X
  • Year: 2007

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

I have used comma injector cleaner before with good results, heard the BG range is certainly good, if not then maybe a full clean like that new terraclean system thats started hitting the market

#20 TDCiST

TDCiST

No Smoke No Poke... Unless you have a DPF!

• 1,681 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Also the 1.8 is almost bomb proof!! Noone I know of has gone past 150bhp yet... The flow design of the head limits things a little... I was gonna try, but then it blew its fuel system lol!

#21 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

back on line finally.... a little progress, chucked in a tin of fuel additive/cleaner ran this for 2 full tanks worth and no joy..... then went down the way of egr valve/maf sensor, boost sensor, etc...... cleaned all sensors an no joy.. our egr valve is all electronic so took of what i thought was the egr but it was just all the workings of it, the egr is by the turbo somewhere next to the inlet.. took the car to a mate who stripped all the inlet off, turbo, mostly everything on the back of the block off, cleaned everything thing down, inlet etc... was propper chocked up, this took almost a day to strip clean and put back together, car still ran the same... so decided to blank the egr valve off with a home made 3mm galv plate, but was unsure to where i block it off.

Hope ive blocked it off in the right place and thats at the bottom of the pipe, not after the cooler and next to the egr electric thingy lol..

Any advice more than welcome please, oh the car runs spot on now

#22 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Martin, is the issue fixed then?

#23 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

it is yes, but still not 100% i'd say its 99% but the 1% could be me as it was running poor for about 4 weeks, but on our way back from hickley last week it was terrible, like major flat spot at bottom of revs, and when booting it, then sometimes when you changed gear it would over rev by 1k ish........ touch wood its being fine the past couple of days...... i just want to know if i have blocked the pipe off in the right place? if anybody on here has this done already?? as im really unsure about the cooler and it use's?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users