22 replies to this topic

#16 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi,

Just an update, I had the starter motor replaced yesterday, Car now starts like a dream.

However when setting off at a little bit extra speed from say a junction or roundabout. The glow plug light comes on on the dash and starts to flash intermittently. The car also loses power - You can only seem to take it to roughly 3k revs before having to shift up.

Any ideas what this would be, this cars costing me a fortune!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

as i thought they always change the starter motor and i dont think that was the issue mate it happens all the time really it needs to go to a ford garage to be tested now youre in limp mode and theres still an issue the glow plug light can refer to the ecu or the starter the glowplugs and preheat circuit as i said ide have held off on the starter and had a ford garage look at it and check the fault codes that will be in the ecu

#18 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

I bet this is an EGR valve issue? Have you checked this out or asked garage to check the EGR. Had similer symptoms on my focus a while ago and it turned out to be the EGR valve...cost £400 for a new one and fitting...worked perfectly after that

#19 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2005

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi Mike 77, yes my car is a 1.8 TDCI 115bp, it only took the AA man less than 10 mins with a 10mm spanner to blank it off. it could be that mine is a mk2 and that the egr vavle is at the top rear of the engine, i think that the old type of egr vavle would be harder to blank off.

thi is my egr vavle

Attached Thumbnails

• mk2 egr vavle.jpg

#20 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Just a query about the current issue I have, it only seems to happen on a morning?

The limp home mode / flashing glow plug light comes on when you put your foot down a bit, say to get out at a roundabout or junction.

Switching the ignition off resets it and the engine seems fine after that again too. Driving home tonight no problems at all

#21 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Hi Mike 77, yes my car is a 1.8 TDCI 115bp, it only took the AA man less than 10 mins with a 10mm spanner to blank it off. it could be that mine is a mk2 and that the egr vavle is at the top rear of the engine, i think that the old type of egr vavle would be harder to blank off.

thi is my egr vavle

Mine is a mk2 also lol. But from what ive read its a simple job on the 1.6 and 2litre models, but not this one, but in saying that I was looking to remove the egr completely to clean it, this must be where things get more difficult then.

#22 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

I am no longer able to replicate this issue. Not too sure why, But it appears to have fixed itself. I've had many drives in the car and no sign of limp home mode. Strange one thats for sure

#23 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi,

Sorry to bump this back up. But the startup problem is definitley fixed, Its now when the car is running. A slight shift in speed and the glow plug light starts to flash.

This morning the Engine Management light came on and has stayed on since. Putting foot down with the Engine Management light on, creates the flashing glow plug issue and the car also loses power / stalls. I'm reading out and about that this is a fault with the accelerator pedal?

Can anyone suggest?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users