Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Cooler Pipe Clips???

jeffnat68

Hi all.Anyone got any advise on undoing the metal clips/fasteners/brackets that hold the egr cooler pipe to the egr cooler?It has got no bolts to undo just looks like you have to place something in the join and unclip it but don't want to break it so reluctant about doing that.Haynes manual useless on this, it just says undo the bracket holding the cooler pipe to egr valve...Thanx in advance for any help. http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o660/jeffnat6869/DSC_0023_zps2c13ee0f.jpg

Yep you need to place a small screwdriver in to the centre of the clip and leaver it upwards..... This will release the clip.

But you will struggle to get it back together without the right tools.... You can just about do it with a pair of side cutters but it's a struggle...... I would go to your Ford dealer and buy a new clip..... The new ones actually have an Allen key bolt which you just do up when you refit it..... Much easier and the clip is only a couple of pounds to buy :D

Thanx for that i'll go and buy a couple tomorrow...

Jeff are trying to fit your egr blanking plate???

If so you don't need to undo that pipe connection..... You should only need to slacken off the 2 bolts that secure the egr valve and then slot it in place... If you take the valve right off make sure you don't loose the metal gasket behind the valve.....

Yes I am mate.But the fuel pipes are in the way of the egr mounting bolts so thought I would block the cooler to inlet manifold pipe as its easier to get at.... :)

Gonna get a large ball bearing and wedge it in pipe and then stuff loads of gungum exhaust sealent in and around it.Seeing as the gasses will have been cooled down a tad by going through the cooler I think it should be o.k.(hopefully)...Or I could just bite the bullet and take of the fuel filter and pipes to get at the egr bolts and fit blanking plate and then try to bleed fuel filter.or I thought about extending the pipe underneath car and let the gasses out like an exhaust pipe and then just blank the inlet manifold... :D

.or I thought about extending the pipe underneath car and let the gasses out like an exhaust pipe and then just blank the inlet manifold... :D

, Blanking the inlet is ok but the other idea won't work, basically its like having a leaking exhaust manifold or or hole in your exhaust with the resultant loss in power/ economy

I don't think Gum Gum would be a good choice to be honest..... It will break up slowly over time and contaminate your inlet manifold and cause no end of problems for the engine / turbo etc etc.

I still think the best way is with the plate you have bought.... I have mine now but won't be fitting it for a couple of days as I've just got out of hospital so can't fit it yet lol.

If you hold fire I will get mine done and get photos of everything so you can see what needs removing to do it

I don't think Gum Gum would be a good choice to be honest..... It will break up slowly over time and contaminate your inlet manifold and cause no end of problems for the engine / turbo etc etc.

I still think the best way is with the plate you have bought.... I have mine now but won't be fitting it for a couple of days as I've just got out of hospital so can't fit it yet lol.

If you hold fire I will get mine done and get photos of everything so you can see what needs removing to do it

Imanaged to fit the plate the other day.I just unbolted the fuel filter housing from the engine block and shoved it out the way so I could get to the lower egr valve bolt.Undid bothe egr bolts then slid plate in tightened it all up then cleaned mafs with spray cleaner and took it for a run.So far after a fews day still no eml so happy days...Car runs smoover..Thanx for help by the way.Good luck in fitting yours.... ;)

Ah that's good to hear you have yours on and running... I take it that it didn't take you too long in the end then.....

If your eml comes on just yell as my solus will read the codes and rest the light if it comes on :)

Saves paying for a dealer to do it :D

Ah that's good to hear you have yours on and running... I take it that it didn't take you too long in the end then.....

If your eml comes on just yell as my solus will read the codes and rest the light if it comes on :)

Saves paying for a dealer to do it :D

what is this solus product you talk of fella?

my old mans after a handheld diagnostic machine that can read all cars, more so the jap cars. is this any good?

Ah now the diagnostic tool I have is a Snap on Solus Ultra..... Cost me just under £2500 last summer.....does everything and almost every car on the planet......

Here's a link to a 2nd hand one on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snap-On-Solus-Ultra-Diagnostic-Scanner-with-12-2-Excellent-Condition-/281060013532?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item41707b75dc

Brilliant system but a little pricey unless your making money out of it :D

I bought an obd 2 scanner from fleebay for 20 quid.It works fine as I disconnected the wireing connector to the egr to test the scanner and after a few miles the eml came on so I just reconnected the connector and deleted the fault code and light is now off.Happy days.One thing I may do is to make a stainless steel blanking plate and slot that in as the one I got on at the mo is alloy so may melt after a while..

Well it shouldn't do to be honest Jeff.......Most inlet manifolds / throttle body's / cylinder heads etc are made of alloy so your blanking plate should be good..... In fact most new cars have plastic throttle body's and inlet manifolds so I really can not see a problem with yours :D

£2500!!!

my old man has a code reader off eBay but he wants one that clears the service etc and one that works with jap cars so im on a mission. i just hope i pick the right tool!

Well it shouldn't do to be honest Jeff.......Most inlet manifolds / throttle body's / cylinder heads etc are made of alloy so your blanking plate should be good..... In fact most new cars have plastic throttle body's and inlet manifolds so I really can not see a problem with yours :D

Yeah you are right on that one mate,I just read on the internet forums that alloy plates melt through in time with the hot gasses etc..But then my wifes saucepans look the same alloy and they don't melt on the gas hob..So will just leave it and see....

Alloy is not aluminium

Aluminium is not alloy

Aluminium is a pure "soft" metal with a realatively low melting point, Alloy means a mixture of 2 or more substances (metals), mixed together to form a "better" substance, often harder wearing tougher and a higher melting point than Aluminium, but lighter than steel/ cast iron

Aluminium is soft and easy to work/ drill/ machine and easy to get/ relatively cheap, if used for EGR blanking plates it has been known to melt through,

This is because the EGR blenking plate can be subjected to high tempratures and pressures from the exhaust, exhaust manifolds are not often made from plastic or aluminium, like inlet manifolds because they would melt, an exhaust manifold has to withstand a much higher temprature than an inlet manifold

If the blanking plate is fitted close to the exhaust, the Aluminium plate is more likely to melt through

If the place you place the planking plate is a long way from the exhaust, the exhaust gasses may have cooled down enough for an Aluminium plate to be safely fitted,

i personally had 6mm stainless steel blanking plates specially made for my car i would not risk the Aluminium melting and dripping into my inlet

Ok fair point..... I've not had much to do with EGR blanking in the past..... In fact this is the 1st car I'm going to do it to.

But I never said exhausts are made of aluminium or plastic.... It's bad enough with plastic inlet manifolds..... Melting fornvarious reasons :rolleyes: