• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

£2500!!!

my old man has a code reader off ebay but he wants one that clears the service etc and one that works with jap cars so im on a mission. i just hope i pick the right tool!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jeffnat68

jeffnat68

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name: Jeff
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci estate
  • Year: 2007

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Well it shouldn't do to be honest Jeff.......Most inlet manifolds / throttle body's / cylinder heads etc are made of alloy so your blanking plate should be good..... In fact most new cars have plastic throttle body's and inlet manifolds so I really can not see a problem with yours :D

Yeah you are right on that one mate,I just read on the internet forums that alloy plates melt through in time with the hot gasses etc..But then my wifes saucepans look the same alloy and they don't melt on the gas hob..So will just leave it and see....

#18 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well it shouldn't do to be honest Jeff.......Most inlet manifolds / throttle body's / cylinder heads etc are made of alloy so your blanking plate should be good..... In fact most new cars have plastic throttle body's and inlet manifolds so I really can not see a problem with yours :D

Alloy is not aluminium

Aluminium is not alloy

Aluminium is a pure "soft" metal with a realatively low melting point, Alloy means a mixture of 2 or more substances (metals), mixed together to form a "better" substance, often harder wearing tougher and a higher melting point than Aluminium, but lighter than steel/ cast iron

Aluminium is soft and easy to work/ drill/ machine and easy to get/ relatively cheap, if used for EGR blanking plates it has been known to melt through,

This is because the EGR blenking plate can be subjected to high tempratures and pressures from the exhaust, exhaust manifolds are not often made from plastic or aluminium, like inlet manifolds because they would melt, an exhaust manifold has to withstand a much higher temprature than an inlet manifold

If the blanking plate is fitted close to the exhaust, the Aluminium plate is more likely to melt through

If the place you place the planking plate is a long way from the exhaust, the exhaust gasses may have cooled down enough for an Aluminium plate to be safely fitted,

i personally had 6mm stainless steel blanking plates specially made for my car i would not risk the Aluminium melting and dripping into my inlet

#19 lottysvdub

lottysvdub

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Cougar / ST24 / Focus Tdci

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Ok fair point..... I've not had much to do with EGR blanking in the past..... In fact this is the 1st car I'm going to do it to.
But I never said exhausts are made of aluminium or plastic.... It's bad enough with plastic inlet manifolds..... Melting fornvarious reasons :rolleyes:

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users