Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust!

orangeboy

Fantasic!! Ment to put update on but forgot lol.

Front bumper had full respray looks like new now.

Arches hadnt rusted it was just the laquer that had started to go but he still ground them bac to bare metal m then resprayed inc cutting in £220 for the lot as paid cash. Took 2 n half days.. 

6 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Fantasic!! Ment to put update on but forgot lol.

Front bumper had full respray looks like new now.

Arches hadnt rusted it was just the laquer that had started to go but he still ground them bac to bare metal m then resprayed inc cutting in £220 for the lot as paid cash. Took 2 n half days.. 

Good to hear, shame I don't live closer to you after the quote I had 😉

Well other quotes i had were round the 400 mark so urs dont seem so far out

• 8 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:56 PM, orangeboy said:

My car was repainted this time last year. Cost was about £250 for both the rear arches to be done.

However it has started again on the drivers side.

I've has this problem fixed 3  times now. I'm not sure what the problem with the rear arches is, but think its a combination on the felt arch liner holding moisture next to the metal, and if the rear bumper moves or vibrates then it could scuff the paint off allowing moisture to get in in the area where the bumper and the wheel arch meet.

One thing that seems to have slowed the rust down is that I've plastered the inside lip of both rear arches with Dinatrol cavity wax that I got from Amazon. This stuff seems to be much better than Waxoyl although it is messy to apply.

It would be good it vulnerable areas such as this wee galvanized, but to the best of my knowledge the Focus Mk 2.5 inst galvanized at all.

The really annoying thing is that I've seen much older cars from other manufacturers with no rust at all.

The problem is when people think of galvanizing they think of hot dip galvanising. Now that is very good at stopping rust, 30 to 40 years, and it bleeds over to protect cut surfaces, see these galvanizing experiments. But, as in the linked to test of pre galv v hot dipped pre galv (the sort car manufacturers would use) is some way behind that. Pre galv brackets can start rusting in 5 years or less in some cases, particularly at the stamped out edge. Hot dip galv can`t really be used for body panels, certainly body panels you can see, because I`d have thought the finish (for painting) wouldn`t be that good.

Typical thicknesses of zinc based anti corrosion coatings : 

Zinc plating = 10 microns (that`s why zinc plated fasteners rust surprisingly quickly).

Pre Galv = 20 microns (can range between 7 and 40)

Hot dip galv = 55 microns plus

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club