Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Android Market/iphone App Store Paid Apps?

vince_13

what your opinion?

ive often looked at buying the apps in the android market but i dont like the fact my payment details could be accessed through my phone as ive heard stories of bank details being taken from phones easily

can anyone tell me how it works or how do you pay for apps?

I use I am and feel comfortable with it. It's for the most part a second paypal you login and after giving your password it charges to the card like paypal would.

Horror stories can be avoided by installing security software and shutting down blue tooth and wifi when not needed that reduces incoming traffic and vigilant attitude to what you access is another key to it

is it paypal you use then, ive heard you have to use an app called google wallet?

Google wallet is there equivalent to paypal so you log it against your account or another if you wish then when you buy an app or content it asks for confirmation then for your password then choose buy so you get three chances to cancel also most purchases can be refunded within 15 minutes in the event of problems

Yeah as far as security is concerned, its well protected in that respect (as far as any modern payment method can be). as well as the 15 minute refund practice in case you are not happy. some cheeky folk have discovered a loop hole.... :rolleyes:

But remember anyway that no matter, you will still be covered by your cards protection policies. There is never really anything expensive on there, so in the highly unlikely event that your wallet details are nabbed, then reporting this 'theft' to your card provider should ensure that your protection is used.

what your opinion?

ive often looked at buying the apps in the android market but i dont like the fact my payment details could be accessed through my phone as ive heard stories of bank details being taken from phones easily

can anyone tell me how it works or how do you pay for apps?

In order to ensure I do not overspend on iOS apps or anything else from iTunes and iBooks, I chose not to register my card on my iTunes account. Nothing to do with worrying about my card details begin accessed by hackers or such, like I said, it's to ensure I don't overspend and run low in my bank account. I chose to buy an iTunes gift card, usually stick with a budget of buying only £15 gift card every two weeks, and redeem the card on my iTunes account. If i don't spend much and two weeks later, it's time to buy £15 gift card and top-up, I've actaully been able to built up an amout. (Useful as some apps, like one important app I needed cost like £34.99.)

So if you don't like the idea of having your card details on records, you could opt for top-up by buying gift cards for yourself and redeem them.

I don't know about Android Market as I don't recall seeing any gift cards for Android so maybe there must be something like that somewhere.

Don't believe there is one however you can buy prepaid cards which are in essence a pay as you go top up card buy very little protection exists in the event of theft

that very good point didnt think of that but yeh due to my despise of apple i have android,

how does this 15 minute pay back thing happen is it with android market?

install the app and give it a crack. Most apps are small so download quick, then try run the app. if you find that it doesnt run correctly, then you find it in google play again (90% of the time as soon as you open the google play icon its there anyway) then just click "refund" where "purchase" was previously. It uninstalls it and then refunds you the cash, but you only have 15 minutes. Otherwise you need to contact the author and argue a case for a refund in that event.

Wow that easy that's reassuring to know cheers

• 1 month later...

If you didnt know you can get gift cards for play now much like the itunes cards, and really your details arent on your phone as such as they are in the google wallet cloud, something that could become useful when nfc payments take off.

You don't have to check out on your phone, once you have a google wallet/account and already set up payments it will work cross platforms with no drama, so you can either check out on the computer on google play, the app will then be send to your phone of course. Infact if you have already used some sort of google payment and have your card already stored once logged into your google play the only thing you will need is the 3 digit security code on your card, no need to input anything else.

Google play gift cards have been around forever but if i remember correctly you can only get them from sainsbury and morrisons, the rest is as james said... all paid apps have a 10 minute trial and test after buying them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club