Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Stuttering - Oil/fluid Getting Into Sparks?

Kazlok

Hey guys..

Back again with more engine stuttering! (http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/37750-engine-stuttering/#entry216065)

I took it down the garage a while back and the guy said it looked like fluid was getting in with the sparks, causing it to short and miss-fire.

It's been fine up-till now and has suddenly started again, almost more violently.

I checked the sparks first thing, and it looks like 2 of the chambers have a brown liquid at the base of the plugs which i assume to be oil.

Now I can't remember exactly what the guy said to me, but apparently it is to do with the threading corroding and allowing fluid in. I was wondering, since i've got my MOT coming up in a few days, would this be worth fixing? (along with it's yearly weld and a bunch of other problems that need fixing).

I reckon getting it past it's MOT is going to cost at least £300-400 without fixing this engine problem, and I'm not sure if its just worth scrapping it and getting a new car altogether?

Cheers,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Taken from my thread on this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< UPDATE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I purchased a cheap throttle position sensor from eBay for £15 (genuine part normally costs £70), fitted it and didn't solve the problem, so moving on.

After some research this is what I have found with regards to the stuttering/fuel starvation/misfiring :::

ecutesting.com :::

This common fault of misfire on two cylinders or complete non start is often caused by the ignition coil pack shorting out on the vehicle - it is very important that the ignition coil pack is replaced at the same time as refitting your ECU after it has been repaired - or your faulty coil pack may damage the repaired ECU. - http://www.ecutestin...u_misfire_.html

EXCELLENT thread from RAC.co.uk on this topic :::

Lots of detail into this very common Focus MK1 98-04 fault here:

How I think the problem occurred :::

I believe that when the speed sensor started malfunctioning I continued to drive the car, which may have caused the faulty speed sensor to damage the Ignition Coil Pack which then damaged the ECU.

How I'm going to tackle it now :::

Take out the ECU, read it's part number and send the ECU off for repair/replacement by ecutesting.com for (hopefully) £150.

Purchase new ignition coil pack for £25.

Will let you know how it goes :)

z

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club