Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight Humming Sound?

dmizz93

So, I'm not how how it started but I've noticed a small humming sound coming from my fez, usually when in 3rd/4th gear or turning corners..

Not that loud, but now I've noticed it I can't possibly un-notice it.. Driving me round the bend (haha)

I'm thinking it's either from my tyres (changed 1000 miles ago) or from my front discs/pads.

Can anyone give me pointers as to what I need to look out for/check so I don't have to take a trip to ford to sort it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Probably tyres if the noise is whilst moving. It'll sound like a droning noise. It'll drive you mad now that you've noticed it. Bearings are also a possibility and this can be checked by lifting the car and spinning each wheel to see if the wheel spins freely. Personally I'd say it's tyres which is something you'll have to just live with.

Thanks for the heads up willy! Taking it in to the place that did my tyres later today to see what they say about it..

I'm right in thinking that front bearing fitted is like £500 isn't it??

Could it be something just as simple as the nuts need tightening as the tyres were only recently changed? Or is that wishful thinking?

What tyres have you got fitted? I found that cheap tyres got noisy after a while, just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up willy! Taking it in to the place that did my tyres later today to see what they say about it..

I'm right in thinking that front bearing fitted is like £500 isn't it??

Could it be something just as simple as the nuts need tightening as the tyres were only recently changed? Or is that wishful thinking?

I wouldn't pay more than £100 for someone to supply and fit a bearing, Garage down the road presses them for £20, usually the bearings are around £30-40 the rest is fitting and the supply of a 2P split pin.

What do you mean by pressing bearings? Scuse my ignorance!

Had it looked at by the garage who have said there's a noise in the drivers rear bearing and some play in the front bearing..

They quoted me 350 to do both down that side, but surely it's better to do all 4 at the same time?

Could it just need a tightening of the nuts/bolts do you reckon? Seeing as I only changed they tyres recently?

I'd take it to another garage.

£350 for 2 bearings? No thanks..

The rear bearings are a very simple job and a good quality bearing will set you back £30-£40.

The front bearings involve a little more work to get at and are more expensive. A good quality bearing will cost you £40-£50. 2 hours labour should probably cover them both.

Pressing bearings is the process where the bearings are pushed in/out using a hydraulic ram in a press, It is required because the bearings are a very tight fit.

• Like 1

aha yeah knew I was getting fobbed off, just used the old 'not been paid yet'

Not sure if related to this but on the way home for the first time ever the 'passenger door open' warning came on when my missus hadn't even touched it, or so she said..

Could that be related? Might just take it to fords in the morning and see what they say..!

£350 for 2 bearings? No thanks..

The rear bearings are a very simple job and a good quality bearing will set you back £30-£40.

The front bearings involve a little more work to get at and are more expensive. A good quality bearing will cost you £40-£50. 2 hours labour should probably cover them both.

Pressing bearings is the process where the bearings are pushed in/out using a hydraulic ram in a press, It is required because the bearings are a very tight fit.

So, after the noise got worse I decided to get the AA patrolman out just to get a 2nd opinion on what the garage said...

He's advised that my NSF wheel bearing has failed/near collapse and should be swapped out as soon as possible.. Only thing is the garage I went to told me it was OSF so now I'm not sure which one to get replaced, if not both!

Seen some PAGID bearing kit on eurocarparts for £35 a pop with ABS sensors on that any good?

Am I right in thinking that all in for both sides I'm looking at around £120-150 if my mechanic doesn't take the p*ss!? Will probably get my allignment+tracking done after as it seems slightly off, need to locate a hunter machine mind you!

I tend to favour !Removed! and skf bearings, never used a pagid one. That said I always use pagid brake discs pads unless someone specifies otherwise - never had any trouble with them.

If your supplying the bearings, then I would expect atleast an hours labour per side. Sometimes removing track rod ends/ball joints can be difficult and worst case scenario they could be damaged so don't be alarmed if you need to replace them.

jack ur car up, and give ur wheels a wiggle up/down left n right and see what has play in it... a garage here charges like 50 per hour... so if your having two done then id say close to 200 quid.... if nothing else breaks, or they dont break anything due to easier removal.....

I tend to favour !Removed! and skf bearings, never used a pagid one. That said I always use pagid brake discs pads unless someone specifies otherwise - never had any trouble with them.

If your supplying the bearings, then I would expect atleast an hours labour per side. Sometimes removing track rod ends/ball joints can be difficult and worst case scenario they could be damaged so don't be alarmed if you need to replace them.

Cheers for the heads up!

Just checked my bearings and they are infact skf.. I remembered pagid as I was looking at rear drums w/bearings incase they wanted doing as well!

Only annoying thing is I need this sorted tomorrow, as I'm off on holiday and with it being a bank holiday tomorrow I can just see it being virtually impossible to get it in a somewhere! Any ideas on my best bet aside from local garages?

That was meant to say f a g but the swearing filter didn't like it..

A few genuine ford things I have come across are indeed made by skf. Why I have never understood fords pricing for say a rear wheel bearing assembly on a mondeo. Ford want (for example) £250 but I can buy 2x skf assemblies for £180...

Is a breakers worth a try? Just swap over the complete knuckle/hub assembly and that buys you some time to replace the bearing in your one? If you were local to me I would have done them (using press) for you no hassle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club