Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light But No Dtc?

Martin0206

Hi,

This morning I noticed that my engine management light lit up on my dash, there's no noise issues, no misfiring... Car seems to be working like normal to be honest! I ran the ford self diagnostic test and it told me that there were no DTCs, now as I understand it the DTCs are the fault codes are they not? So I was just wondering if anyone knew why the engine management light would come on if there aren't any faults? My local garage want to charge me 60 quid to run a diagnostic, which I don't fancy doing if there isn't anything wrong with my car... I considered purchasing a diagnostic tool to reset the light but not sure if this would be wise? I have a ford fiesta mk6, 58 plate.

Any suggestions/input would be much appreciated.

Martin

It would be worth buying a code reader for under £20 just to see what comes up. If the EML isn't flashing it is possible that it was just a hiccup in a sensor reading and you can clear it to see if it comes up again.

This is the one I use which has now been reduced to £13:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-Universal-OBD2-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-scan-tool-UK-/321360042220?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4ad28d18ec#ht_1794wt_1012

Obviously there are some more expensive ones but this reads the fault codes and allows you to clear them with the exception of the airbag faults which most cant do anyway.

Ordered... Thanks for that. Il give it a go and see what comes up, Didn't fancy paying out 60 quid for someone to do a quick diag check!! The EML isn't flashing so I'm hoping that it's nothing to worry about.

Okay so the code reader has come through nice and quickly... It's giving me error code p0033 which is the Turbo/Sup wastegate control circuit. I can't really find much on this online, sounds like it might be quite expensive to repair though... Anyone have an idea if this can be something that's fixed with a limited amount of vehicular knowledge or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and pay OTT prices at a garage?

Having read into this a bit more, this seems to be a solely turbo related issue, my car is a 1.4 petrol and has no turbo, I Just called SMC ford and they confirmed this and aren't sure why the fault code is coming up... Would it be worth clearing the faults and seeing if the problem persists?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi I have a Fiesta Black 53 pate, my engine warning light has also come on and I have also done the dashboard test with DTC - None. I spoke to a mechanic who said that it will most likely be a glitch as when I hd the cutch replaced I stalled it a few times???

Clutches aren't linked to any warning lights are they? more like one of the bodgers who changed it ( assuming it's the same mechanic ) has probably upset a sensor of some kind on the gearbox/ pulled on a wire.

• 3 months later...

The Dashboard test doesn't show DTC codes, only a few major failure messages, so not surprisingly it shows nothing

Try clearing and see if it comes back