Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking From Right Rear Wheel

Jordlr

Ive just bought a 55 plate focus 1.8tdci and have noticed a knocking from the rear when im driving stright and turning right. No noise when im turning left.

Just jacked the car up and the right rear wheel clunks/clicks in the same position on every forward rotation. Spinning it backwards makes no noise. It is the right wheel only. The left is fine.

What do you guys reakon this is? Wheel bearing? Or something else. Also with the handbrake on only the left wheel is locked, not the right. Is this normal??

Not had a focus before so not sure of the odd bits... :)

Cheers, Jordan

Could be wheel bearing, or brake related. Does it have rear brake discs or drums?

Sounds like you have a brake problem as you mentioned the handbrake not working on that side. Seized rear brake calipers are a common problem and would explain why the handbrake doesn't work on that side.

Also, handbrake cables sometimes snap.

It has discs... if i spin the wheel and apply the brake the wheel stops so if it is the caliper id say only one side was effected if at all. Strange that it only clunks in forward motion and not backwards. You dont notice any effect when driving apart from the noise.

Are the pads still located properly and the friction material still bonded to the backing?

Warped disc maybe or a caliper sticking, definitely brake related though. Discs are cheap enough these days. I managed to get 2 front discs and pads for £36 last month. I went to my local car parts place with my brother. He is a mechanic and does get a little discount but it'll still be relatively cheap I think.

The outside pad looks fine and has loads of material left. I cant see the inside one and cant strip it back at the mo as its pouring it down outside and i need the car later. I know this dosnt help :(

Its going in for its MOT and cambelt next week so i might just get them to look into it then, but the general concensous is either bearings or brake related?

• 3 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem, the noise has been driving me mad since I brought the car.

Originally I thought I'd solved it when finding the hand brake cable was loose in it's holder (directly under rear driverside passenger).

Only way I can describe the nosie as if something is loose and "slapping or knocking" against the body work. The knocking isn't constant, when driving over 30mph it disappears. But when crawling in traffic it's there, sounds like something swinging and hitting body work and it's a repitive strike and doesn't speed up when going faster.

May take the boot liner out and carpet covering right rear wheel arch to see if anything is loose in there as well.

I had it jacked up but never tested the wheel itself, will do this later today.

If you've solved this can you please let me know.

Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have this exact same problem, the noise has been driving me mad since I brought the car.

Originally I thought I'd solved it when finding the hand brake cable was loose in it's holder (directly under rear driverside passenger).

Only way I can describe the nosie as if something is loose and "slapping or knocking" against the body work. The knocking isn't constant, when driving over 30mph it disappears. But when crawling in traffic it's there, sounds like something swinging and hitting body work and it's a repitive strike and doesn't speed up when going faster.

May take the boot liner out and carpet covering right rear wheel arch to see if anything is loose in there as well.

I had it jacked up but never tested the wheel itself, will do this later today.

If you've solved this can you please let me know.

Many thanks.

Sorry for the late reply mate, forgot all about this thread. It turned out it was the rear brake caliper. When it was tested on its MOT it was only 9% efficient and was knackered so it was changed for a new one and hey presto, knocking gone!

They also found both front and rear wishbone bushes worn but only the front were excessive. The previous owner foot the bill including the cambelt change as that was our deal that he pay for any MOT pickups lol...

Did you solve your issue?

Jordan

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club