Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Mileage Mondeo

Dales

One of my mates is selling his 04 plate Mondeo Zetec 2 litre diesel.

Its done about 178000 miles.

I was thinking of buying it for work.

Any opinions on buying a Mondeo with this sort of mileage. The car seems to drive ok but the mileage is a bit of a concern.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dales

I bought mine in July. 06 2.0 TDCI TITANIUM X ESTATE.

Paid £1600 for it with 178000 miles. So far spent about £2k on it.

•Major service and MOT

•DMF AND CLUTCH

•Wheel refurb

•New Intake pipe

•New boot carpet

•New OSF driveshaft

•New battery

•New expansion tank pipe

•New Glow plugs

•EGR blanking plate

Just give it a really good look over, look at receipts, unfortunately I had a dishonest seller. If I'd have known so much was wrong Id have either a:) offered much less or b:) walked away

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Cheers for the reply.

That's what puts me off, if I have to spend a small fortune on it.

Took it a small drive last week and it seemed to drive ok.

Just a bit concerned incase it ends up needing a clutch soon although it did feel ok because of the mileage. plus I have heard a few people say they are bad for injectors. whether that is true or not Im not sure. Heard the injectors have to be coded or something too. again not sure if this is true or not.

Again mate, thanks to thr reply.

Cheers

Dales

That is a high mileage, but it could be ok if it has been cared for. That's probably more a question about your mate and the car's service history than anything we can easily comment on. Has to be cheap to be worth the risk, though.

...a bit concerned incase it ends up needing a clutch soon although it did feel ok because of the mileage

When was the clutch last changed? If it is more than 80k miles ago, it is probably unwise to assume that it will last for a long time more. Might, might not.

Im not sure if it has any history to be honest. Its also more of a mates mate if that makes sense, He is a good guy though.

Car is cheap enough.

Im selling my, (don't laugh) Octavia which I use for work as my job can be a bit messy and I don't want my Focus getting ruined, plus I save fortunes on fuel bills.

He was interested in the Octavia if I could take his in part exchange. none of the cars are expensive.

Like I said in above post, Had a quick shot of it last week and the car drove fine. couple of wee stupid things like the stereo needing recoded due to him putting a new battery in the car,

Starter motor sometimes dosnt enguage right, just gives that whirl sound, although its suppose to be a new starter, so that made me think if was possibly a worn flywheel, but Im not sure if that would cause that.

Interior and bodywork are ok for a car of its age.

I was originally looking at a mk2 Focus diesel and then he mentioned his Mondeo.

Still thinking it over at the moment anyway.

Im worse than a kid in a sweetie shop trying to decide what to get :lol:

Starter motor sometimes dosnt enguage right, just gives that whirl sound, although its suppose to be a new starter, so that made me think if was possibly a worn flywheel, but Im not sure if that would cause that.

That would worry me slightly, tbh. One possibility is that, if the DMF is breaking up, bits get into the starter pinion and it doesn't engage properly.

Now, it is only one possibility, but, as I say, I would have a concern about it.

Basically you have to ask yourself two questions:

1) why are they selling the high miler car in the first place?

2) how much do I have in my pocket to fix it up?

Most people sell high milers because at the end of the day the costs are mounting and its becoming more expensive to run, and basically they are getting shot, or alternatively its developed a fault they believe will cascade out of control and will become an expensive fix.

As such you need to take the car for a good run, see how it goes, but IMHO, if your buying a cheaper motor private sale, I would have at 50% if not up to 150% of that (cost dependant of course) in my account just in case something big goes wrong.

So if your paying about £200, I would be looking to have about £500 ready to fix it up. alternatively, if your picking a motor up for £1500, then I would be looking for at least half of that, if not the full £1500 to repair the motor.

That's what Im thinking. The money I might need to put it right could mean money going towards a car with far less mileage, average mileage basically.

Plus if I buy something with an average mileage, once I go to sell it on. It will sell a lot easier too.

But I have to admit, my Octavia which I use for work, has about 150000 miles on it and it runs perfect, Don't get me wrong, it has service history up till around 1300000. Then when I bought it it gets whatever it needs like any my cars do.

Cheers

Dales

Thanks for all the replies.

Very much appreciated

Dales

Yeah it's better to buy less miles if possible and I would say buy from a garage or trader too, that way you get 6 months peace of mind that they fix the problem or else lol

But I have to admit, my Octavia which I use for work, has about 150000 miles on it and it runs perfect, Don't get me wrong, it has service history up till around 1300000. Then when I bought it it gets whatever it needs like any my cars do.

For one reason, or another, many modern cars are pretty good until they stop getting serviced according to plan. Whether is that they get a bit ragged and the owner thinks it is no longer worth getting them serviced to the original schedule, or they stop getting serviced and that leads to them getting a bit rough around the edges (or, more likely, a bit of both) is unclear, but it is an effect that you can see.

That's one of the reasons that I like to see a service history on a higher mileage car. It isn't a guarantee of anything, but a good car is more likely to have one (and, when you look at it, you don't see a horrible history of repeating faults).

true indeed. I try to get the same, Its been a while since I bought a car with a full service history since new, however I go on a basis of buy the car and start to look after it properly. I havent had a great deal of problems in the grand scheme of things but I have turned shabby motors (CMAX) around and elongated its life. The only thing I couldnt do was save its gearbox so had to get shot in the end...

I fell in love with mine, I am gutted that I was taken for a fool on it. I really let myself down. I am slowly trying to resurrect her much to the disgust of my bank account. I know I'll never see any of the money back but hey ho.

If nothing else all you have bought is pride :-)

Yes service history is a big bonus.

When I bought my Focus ST about 20 months ago it had full Ford service history. I serviced it once through Ford after I bought it.

But even though I did get it serviced trough Ford. I have to admit I wasn't 100% satisfied. I know this is going to sound stupid but I got my mate to do it again within 2 or 3 hundred miles.

It was a trust factor more than anything. I don't really trust anyone else with my car. I know when my mate does it, Its done right. I know if I just get him to do the service work it will effect the value in the future when I go to sell it.

But while the car is in my owner ship it makes me feel better.

I havnt did a lot of miles in the Focus since Iv owned it, well below average anyway. But it is due another service soon.

Part of me thinks put it into Ford, to keep up the Ford service history, But I think it will be just going to my mate. No plans on selling the Focus anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The faulty starter motor would put me off. Thats a sign of dual mass flywheel problems.

Just read a problem above this one about a flywheel sensor problem. Could have been due to metallic dust from a disintergrating flywheel.

My flywheel sensor needed replacing, two months later the starter motor then the flywheel!

Not bad though, had the car from new (06) and had two shockers, anti roll bar, flywheel sensor, starter motor and clutch in 65k.

Genuine ford service parts and oil servoced at the same local garage once a year and ran on Shell fuel now V power.

Yes I didn't like the sound of the starter motor to be honest.

I decided against going for the car anyway John.

Don't get me wrong I trust the guy 100% as the guy is bang on.

Possibly going to look at a Focus 1800 diesel tomorrow. Its basically just a 2nd car for work I need as my ST interior etc is going to end up getting ruined.

I work for a paint company and I have had the odd paint spill and seat covers just don't stop the paint soaking through if you get covered in it. plus I am always carting cement anf filler which is messy too. that just gets every where.

Hi. Just been reading through this quite interesting post. I bought my 56 plate Mondeo 2.0 tdci back in July for £1500 with part service history. The last bein in 2010. I was also duped by a dishonest seller. Had 147000 miles. I've had to replace 2 front springs. Dmf, clutch and slave & a new starter motor. Spent about £800 on it so far. When you spoke of the starter motor playin up that would of put the stopper on it for me. :-)

• 1 month later...

One of my mates is selling his 04 plate Mondeo Zetec 2 litre diesel.

Its done about 178000 miles.

I was thinking of buying it for work.

Any opinions on buying a Mondeo with this sort of mileage. The car seems to drive ok but the mileage is a bit of a concern.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dales

I think you have to check service history, also if crankshaft pulley is rattling, also is turbo the actuator type

Mines done 182K as long as they are serviced properly with the correct grade of oil all that high mileage does is make them more affordable

My cars just ticked over to 120 and I know it needs some work doing to it, but it still trucks on.

I only buy high mileage fleet cars with full Ford service histories, never had a bad one in the last ten years and nine cars

Just bought a high mileage mk4 140k on a 57 plate mechanically it's good electrically it's a nightmare, the wiring looks really cheap compared to my old mk3

Which part are you referring to I particular

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club