Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What To Check For When Taking Delivery Of A New Car

laumk7

What things do I check for when taking delivery of a brand new car from the showroom, obv tax can't be physically checked anymore so how do I check that? Also, I'm having a tracker fitted when the car is still at the showroom what happens if after fitting I notice problems? Or should I check over the car before fitting? It's over a grands worth of tracker inc subscription for 3 yrs

Any tips greatly appreciated and written down for reference, please don't let me overlook the obvious

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

All panels for small dents and scratches, all trims for nicks and scratches. Make sure the car drives in a straightline before you go home with it. Check the tyres aren't savaged. Chips in windows and of course oil and water levels for a start.

Its brand new and will have PDI'd....should be fine! But check you've got any extras you specced, and bodywork damage that could've happened between the PDI and your collection.

It won't be taxed though, you'll have to tax it yourself under the new rules afaik.

That's a good point who taxes the brand new car dealer or myself...Maybe Alex can answer that.

Colin.

Dealer taxes the car, but it should be free in the first year.

I think it is all part of the first registration with the DVLA.

The day after I picked mine up it was showing on the DVLA website, so I could see it was "taxed"/registered.

• Like 1

Thanks Alex just checked and mine was taxed 1 Dec not picked car up yet tho but have log book :)

Many many thanks I'm jotting all these down for reference, now I don't mean to sound thick but what's a pdi?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Dealer taxes the car, but it should be free in the first year.

I think it is all part of the first registration with the DVLA.

The day after I picked mine up it was showing on the DVLA website, so I could see it was "taxed"/registered.

Ah ok, I'll know for future! :)

Under the new rules you do technically have to tax the car, but to get round it, the dealer basically itemises any cost on your invoice separately.

Check everything especially on a brand new car as 9 times out of 10. If u drive away and then u find anything the dealer will just shrug there shoulders and pin the blame on u. Never ever drive away with out checking everything on the car and go on a short test drive with the sales person to make sure it drives right. I work in the trade and have seen so many people just jump in there new cars and drive off. Then they notice problems and try come back to sort them and most problems end up on the owners toes then especially damage to interior or exterior. As for taxing a new car all new cars are sold as ON THE ROAD PRICE which means price of car, tax, full tank and 7days drive away insurance. So u are not getting anything free ur paying for your own tax and fuel with the cost of the car unless it is under the co2 level to pay tax either for life or just the first year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club