Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Harness Connectors

Micro

Hey guys,

Got a project in mind, now that the cold weather has started properly!

Are the harness connectors ford use a custom connector or standard ones you can buy from anywhere? Alternatively does anyone know if the focus 2.5 ignition harness can be bought separately?

I'm looking at modifying the ignition barrel connector to allow "key out running" but not willing to just splice cables into the existing harness. (Handbrake off, clutch in, or brake pressed will kill engine).

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

Most of the connectors that Ford uses are produced by TE connectivity (TYCO electronics, AMP).

Some connectors are exclusively produced for Ford and are not available by any suppliers that sell the TE connectivity products. Some Other connectors are just the standard TE connectivity connectors which can be bought from any TE connectivity supplier.

There should be a TE connectivity part number casted into the connector housing. If you search online for this part number you have a big chance to find the TE connectivity data sheet for your part number. The data sheet contains also information about availability and the part numbers of suitable connector pins.

Ford does only sell a few connectors (which are often located in the engine bay) seperately. All other connectors can not be bought seperately. If you have a broken connector which is not available as a replacement you have to replace the complete wiring loom.

Are these TE part numbers on the wiring diagram too?

I have searched a few numbers relating to the ignition connector from the diagram but have only ever found nothing.

I'll have a look next when I'm under the steering column covers.

Cheers

The connector part numbers are not in the wiring diagram. They are only casted into the connector housing.

Unfortunately trying to get hold of spare connectors is usually a nightmare, even within manufacturing believe it or not :rolleyes:

Not helped by the fact they will use several different manufacturers (tyco, Lear, Yazaki to name a few) and a myriad of different part numbers for Ford themselves and their supplier. And in some cases you won't find any detail on the connector apart from the manufacturers name. They will avoid custom connectors at all costs as these will need tooling up and cost a lot more.

The wiring schematic does at least give Ford part numbers for all the connectors - they're listed by connector number (C123B etc) in the section with all the connector face views and are of the format such as 5M5T 12345 ABC etc.

Whether these parts can then be ordered from a dealer is another matter as the schematic quotes manufacturing part numbers rather than FINIS codes.

I've managed to hunt down one or two connectors on the web just from the manufacturers name, or googling the Ford part number to find manufacturers name & part number or hunting through the examples of their connectors by male/female and the number of pins.

But this can be pretty hit and miss, some were from obscure sellers overseas, some through RS or similar. But for 1 type I needed both male and female, RS listed one side but couldn't find the mating connector anywhere at all :( Plus when you do find the connector that's only the plastic housing and not the matching pins if they're needed too.

To answer the OP's question, the ignition wiring will be part of the instrument panel harness.

I would wonder what the situation with service connectors for Ford is, it's worth checking because if they do only supply main harnesses then some fairly basic repairs will turn into a complete strip down of the car, a massive labour bill, cost of a whole loom plus general clips and fixings which no doubt break when you strip the car to get to the loom.

Having seen first hand what is involved in replacing say the cabin harness or the IP loom you really don't want a dealer doing that or trying it for yourself! If you think about it there will be cases where the connector repair is needed due to an insurance repair or even a warranty issue - so Ford themselves could pick up a massive dealer bill or insurance companies spit the dummy with a basic repair snowballing into an expensive stripdown and rebuild of pretty much the whole interior of the car. Other manufacturers I know of do have systems for supplying spare connectors to service but how well this works I can't say.

This is why I want to stay away from splicing the harness - if I banana up then I'm screwed, where as if I can just remove the offending section then its easier... Just more difficult finding the connectors in the first place.

So far all my mods are 100% reversible and I want to keep it that way if possible.

I always try to do my mods as 100% reversible but wiring in my reversing camera I took the plunge and spliced into the wiring in the boot rather than having to piggyback an extra connection at the plug on the lamp and run that back into the boot.

I know my way round a soldering iron and crimping tool plus you can get splices which are shrouded in heatshrink which are ideal for tapping into the existing wiring and sealing up again afterwards. Butt splices are used for factory repairs as well, where wiring repair standards permit.

On my ST170 I rigged up a Honda S2000 start button to replace the final turn of the ignition key - had to cut into the wiring for this but did it with bullet connectors so the whole lot could be removed and the original circuit re-connected.

Simples :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club