Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Premium Unleaded - Yes Or No?

smokieno1

Have a look at this skip the first 27 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaBngvsPrc

Interesting watching which rates v-power as the most powerful but can you tell the difference day to day? I have stopped using v-power for every top up partly due to cost and high miles, don't use it for my daily commute or long motorway trips but if I am going for a spirited drive I do.

Not sure if this video has made me change my mind or not.

Good find Phil, that was interesting to watch. I was surprised when they said V-Power is 98 RON because I though it was 99, and indeed it is according to Shell: http://www.topgear.com/lovemycar/dr-fuel/

Maybe they changed it to 99 recently, so it could be giving slightly more power than it used to. Another interesting fact from that site: "Shell V-Power fuels for the track and for the road are so similar, Shell V-Power Unleaded for the road can be used in the Scuderia Ferrari Formula One car." :o

It's good that they used the Golf GTI for that test because that's kind of a similar engine to our Ecoboosts. I assume it uses all the same technology underneath, correct me if I'm wrong. And even the cheapest fuel gave a few more bhp than that car was rated at, so by that logic I should get about 225 bhp from my mountuned engine lol. Not long after I got the ST I worked out that V-Power was costing me about £8 more per month, if I get a little more power and it helps to keep the engine in top condition that's worth it to me.

shame they didnt test tesco momentum or the sainsburys =/

Yeah that's true, it would be good to see V-Power vs Momentum.

The real benefit of higher octane fuel depends on how the car is calibrated and climate. As all Fiestas are calibrated to RON 95, there will be marginal, if any benefit, of running higher octance fuel (the standard ECU will not advance the timing, and this would be needed to make a true difference). I used to have a 207 Gti in the Middle East and that was calibrated to RON 97. I had to use lower octane fuel (RON 90 I think) on rare occasions, and once in the middle of the summer on a long drive across the desert. The performance and consumption was terrible, but the ECU still managed to make the engine work.. just.

the standard ECU will not advance the timing, and this would be needed to make a true difference

You may be right, but I think someone else said something about the ECU "learning" to take advantage of whatever fuel you use. I'd think Ford would want to design the engine to make use of higher RON fuel, especially when the ST engine is built here in England and premium fuels are widely available here. Seems like wasted potential if they didn't design it that way.

The ECU will always protect the engine and make the most of the fuel, but only up to a point. An engine is calibrated to meet certain emissons and bhp, but won't have the potential to exceed these (for obvious reasons!). As the fiesta is calibrated to 95 RON, throwing higher octane fuel at it is likely to be a waste..

It can and will run on either and the ecu will make adjustments for 98ron. This was discussed on fstoc by a some one who works on engine calibratios at dunton.

F1 teams have had to use pump fuel ( or as near to it as possible) since I think 1992, this led to a dip in form of Williams for example as the had been used to the special "rocket fuel" blends.

Isn't it common now for ECU's to run adaptive setting routines to cater for different driving environments, driver behaviours, production tolerances, and fuel ratings etc?

So if you go to a higher octane fuel the system will try to optimise it's behaviour in account of this, within the limits for the various parameters. Know this is case with my Focus, and some other brands I'm familiar with.

Think Mark beat me to it there.

Bear in mind that for the manufacturer, 'optimal performance' isn't taken as maximising power, they have a multitude of other parameters/targets they work to with their engine calibrations.

I follow this advice, lol
7ab51ccc9d6cff1f770adf063fbbc8bc.jpg

Want one of those :P

Thanks for all the comments. Am on my second tank of BP Ultimate but thinking of moving to Shell V Power. Will give the BP Ultimate another few tanks before I decide though.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Wonder if BP still do their Ultimate 'Ultimate Unleaded'?

The stuff which was 102 octane and wasn't cheap!

I follow this advice, lol

7ab51ccc9d6cff1f770adf063fbbc8bc.jpg

Is that a genuine Mountune sticker? If anyone knows whether higher RON fuel will make a difference to this engine it's Mountune, considering they can modify the map and change just about every component lol.

Is that a genuine Mountune sticker? If anyone knows whether higher RON fuel will make a difference to this engine it's Mountune, considering they can modify the map and change just about every component lol.

Yes it is, it's part of their sticker sheet. On the sheet there a similar sticker for the US ST which looks better.

http://www.mountunestore.com/collections/apparel-and-accessories/products/apparel-mountune-decal-sheet

Wonder if BP still do their Ultimate 'Ultimate Unleaded'?

The stuff which was 102 octane and wasn't cheap!

Can't remember seeing it for a long time, it was about 240p/litre mainly at stations near race tracks for track day cars.

I think it was EVO magazine that had a 911 (996) GT3RS mapped for it and it made an extra 50bhp, over the standard map on v-power.

Yes it is, it's part of their sticker sheet. On the sheet there a similar sticker for the US ST which looks better.

http://www.mountunestore.com/collections/apparel-and-accessories/products/apparel-mountune-decal-sheet

According to the US sticker 97 RON is better than 99 lol. Or do they classify their fuel differently?

Would love to see any evidence that the standard Ford ECU has the ability to advance the timing to take advantage of higher octane fuels. Is there any? I'd be surprised if the Mountune re-map didn't enable this..

Yes, the US use different methods to measure it, don't think our RON is the same as theirs. Some say their fuel is a lower quality to ours. So their 97 might be the similar to our 99 but their mapping makes the most of it.

The US ST is mapped differently to which is why it's not a good idea to buy engine mods from the US.

Would love to see any evidence that the standard Ford ECU has the ability to advance the timing to take advantage of higher octane fuels. Is there any? I'd be surprised if the Mountune re-map didn't enable this..

It's more likely to have been mapped on higher Ron fuel, then the ECU retards the ignition when using lower, not sure if all ecoboost engines have a knock sensor but the ST has.

• 5 years later...

When i purchased my Fiesta 125 ecoboost titanium x,2016 from a Ford dealer i was told to use high octane petrol evey third tankful to keep the injectors clean.

it can also held keep the intake valves clean as the  intake valves can perform a valve cleaning operation for reducing deposits on a valve of the engine by using fuel pushed back from a cylinder past the valve with deposits and then re-inducted through the valve with deposits.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

When i purchased my Fiesta 125 ecoboost titanium x,2016 from a Ford dealer i was told to use high octane petrol evey third tankful to keep the injectors clean.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Alternatively, you could use a fuel additive, every time you fill up. Something like Millers Petrol Ecomax https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/petrol-power-ecomax/
This not only cleans the injectors but also adds 2 Octane Numbers to fuel. I've occasionally used in mine, but using the funnel is a pain due to 'Easy Fuel Capless system' . I've used to use their diesel Ecomax all the time in my previous car.

Thread resurrection!

I was in Ipswich a few months back and noticed that in the large Tesco near the A14/A12 roundabout they were selling 5 star unleaded? Is it worth a punt?

My 1.5 ecoboost is definitely a little quieter on idle with premium.  I give it a tank full every now and then, usually BP as it's supposed to have better cleaning additives in.

We run our 1ltr 125ecoboost  cmax on jet and find it's happier then supermarket brands. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club