Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Middle Of Heated Windscreen Not Working

mike6688

Hi

Noticed my heated windscreen isn't working directly in the centre. It's a mk3 2011 focus. It is a section about a foot across that isn't clearing. I've saw similar threads that mentioned that either side stopped working, but this is right across both of the sides.

Thanks, Mike

theres left and right heated elements , so normaly one side or other stops working, if its in the centre section then it sounds like the element in the screen is at fault and therefore new screen required,

That's what I was hoping you wouldn't say lol. Do you know if an insurance would cover this, I've got windscreen cover but not sure if it covers a fault in the elements.

windsreen cover is for chips and cracks, didnt you say some stone flew up and hit the screen ?? lol

un less you break the windscreen its not covered im afraid be sure its the screen at fault seems odd on such a young car

windsreen cover is for chips and cracks, didnt you say some stone flew up and hit the screen ?? lol

You're right. Windscreen cover does not include heater element failure, but it does cover you for damage which you can pretend and lie about.

Which reminds me, a panel on my car is looking a bit faded, I think I'll add to the rising cost of motor insurance by kicking a dent into it just so that I can get someone else to pay for my vanity.

they can go at any age, saw a transit custom only 6 months old with section of screen not working , connections were ok.

im pretty sure I saw a chip in your screen mate, right in front of the drivers eye line, slightly larger then a pound coin from side to side, best call your insurance to get that sorted ;) make sure to tell them its a heated screen

im pretty sure I saw a chip in your screen mate, right in front of the drivers eye line, slightly larger then a pound coin from side to side, best call your insurance to get that sorted ;) make sure to tell them its a heated screen

FFS

FFS

problem?

I was chatting to a guy a while back who was doing an insurance repair on another cars window, just questioning him on windscreens as at some point I intend to put auto lights in, which needs a different rear view mirror wind screen attachment. he was quite helpful, they will fit anything their told to, just let them know on the phone what car you have, heated window and tell them its got the auto lights. they couldn't care less if the windscreen is falling apart from a baseball bat or in perfect nick, they get paid at the end of the day so its non of their business.

problem?

I was chatting to a guy a while back who was doing an insurance repair on another cars window, just questioning him on windscreens as at some point I intend to put auto lights in, which needs a different rear view mirror wind screen attachment. he was quite helpful, they will fit anything their told to, just let them know on the phone what car you have, heated window and tell them its got the auto lights. they couldn't care less if the windscreen is falling apart from a baseball bat or in perfect nick, they get paid at the end of the day so its non of their business.

You don't see a problem?

If you want to upgrade your car by putting a better windscreen in it, choose the right car or pay for the mod/upgrade.

So a windscreen firm couldn't care less - does this negate that you're whacking in a spurious claim - an erroneous claim - to defraud your insurance company of a few hundred quid which they are not liable for? You don't see that moody claims like this is hiking up insurance premiums?

When an insurance company gives you a quote which you think is too high, you call them crooks!

Yet you ask me if I have a problem?

Take a look at yourself, your post, and ask yourself a few questions.

• Like 3

Right o mate, you are of course entitled to your opinion.

So back to the subject, if part of the screen isn't working then there is possible as others mentioned there might be damage to a part of the element inside the screen, i had a similar issue on the rear window but you can fix that with a wee spot of conductive paint, which isn't possible on the front. anywho its possible damage could be created by a stone or something and last I checked, stone damage to the windshield is either repaired or replaced, if the "chip" is small enough to be repaired then your out of luck, if its large enough then it will be replaced, the replacement will have the heated part in it. You need to go find the "damage" and decide for yourself whats best.

a Few years back in my old car I had the worst luck, in the space of about 6 months on the M6 and M1 I had 3 cracked windows, the last one was just 2mm to low for the MOT man to pass it, each time I had it sorted and my insurance has only ever gone down so I wouldn't be too worried about the cost of the insurance going through the roof, you will probably have to pay a fair chunk of the price of a new one anyway

As it's not covered I won't bother the insurance, and I'd rather not break / damage it. There isn't a mark on the screen that I can see. Took it to the garage I had it from, as the car is under warranty, but warranty won't cover it. They were unsure what was wrong, but suspected the elements as well. Might take it to a ford dealer and be sure, but I could probably live with it. I'll just have to de ice that bit of screen lol.

My husbands 51 plate Mondeo has about 80% of the elements broken, looks like a humbug sweet when you need to use it lol

We have been tempted in the past for something "unfortunate" to happen to the windscreen but always thought better of it in the end.

• Like 1

Hi

Noticed my heated windscreen isn't working directly in the centre. It's a mk3 2011 focus. It is a section about a foot across that isn't clearing. I've saw similar threads that mentioned that either side stopped working, but this is right across both of the sides.

Thanks, Mike

Have a look at the glass manufacturer markings on the glass (IIRC, should be n/s bottom corner). Is it a Ford branded glass?

How long have you had the car?

You are protected for up to 6 years by the Sale of Goods Act, goods sold by any retailer must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. You could always try that line although how long should a heated screen last? I think i'd be asking for the dealer to at least assist with the replacement (Free labour, or % off) if recently purchased.

When I bought my 2009 Focus (Over a year ago now!) I noticed the screen wasn't clearing the fog on one side, and the windscreen was duly replaced before I bought it by the dealer.

It's a Ford screen and has the markings in the corner. Had the car about 8 months, second hand from a dealer. Put a pic so you can see what I mean. It is all the way down the centre that doesn't clear, just had heater on in the pic which is why the bottom of the screen is clear.

post-62285-0-83597700-1422905132_thumb.j

PICTURE ABOVE DEFO LOOKS LIKE IT CAN BE LIVED WITH

That would anoy me, first of all I thought it was the thin strip in the middle until i realised it was the lampost in the photo. Lol

That would anoy me, first of all I thought it was the thin strip in the middle until i realised it was the lampost in the photo. Lol

Ah what I thought was the line is the lamp post maybe not so liveable lol

The uncleared bit isn't in line with the elements.

Weird.

Had it confirmed by the garage today that it is the elements, and to fix will need a new screen. I can live with it as is, just have to scrape that bit if icy lol. Thought I'd put a better picture up too, as the last one wasn't too clear and confusing.

post-62285-0-20719300-1423007023_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club