Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Roundabouts - Straight On Or Right Turn?

Phil 87

It matters not which exit it is numerically . . any exit that is past / after 12 on an imaginary clock face should be treated as a right turn, unless road signs or markings dictate otherwise.

Ok, so with the roundabout I mentioned as an example, you would look at the road sign showing the layout of the roundabout, which shows continuing on the A63 is "straight on". Then you see the arrows on the road showing which lane to use to go straight on, and follow that even though it's more like a right turn, is that how it works? And if there were no road markings I assume you would use the right lane only in this case?

I will google co-ordinates you gave Phil, familiarise myself with the layout of this roundabout, & get back to you with a definitive answer !

• Like 1

I will google co-ordinates you gave Phil, familiarise myself with the layout of this roundabout, & get back to you with a definitive answer !

Cheers Mark, I'm just trying to make sure I understand the general rules that can be applied to any roundabout. You'd think after nearly 10 years driving I would understand them by now lol.

I'd say it is a straight on, when you look from map view, is is straight. You just approach at a slightly off angle as the entry and exit points split.

Both lanes go straight ahead as it is a dual carriageway on the other side. I would only indicate right if I wanted to go up Wakefield Road.

• Like 2

Looking at the roundabout sign further back, not knowing the upcoming lanes, I would expect to approach in right hand lane, but with no indicator.

That is how I would do it, if there were no lane markings when I got to the roundabout.

Yes I agree Alex. If the road marking says I'm going straight on, I don't indicate except maybe to show that I'm leaving the roundabout, unless the lane I'm in takes me off the roundabout in which case indicating might be misleading.

I always indicate left to say I'm coming off the roundabout (unless it is a mini one), just not on approach for a "straight on".

Your car's positioning is as much an indicator. It is like body language as you gain experience, like when you know someone is going to come all the way round the roundabout despite having no indicator on, as you are reading their road positioning.

• Like 2

I always indicate left to say I'm coming off the roundabout (unless it is a mini one), just not on approach for a "straight on".

Yes, I usually indicate when coming off the roundabout if it's possible that I could continue round, it's just those big roundabouts where your only option is to stay in your lane where I don't indicate. I mean in that case it might make it look like you want to move into the lane to your left.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'll usually just give a quick flash of the indicator, so people don't think I'm going to switch lane, but know I'm coming off.

Unless of course it is a filter lane, then I don't indicate at all, lol.

OK bear with me here, I've just '' driven '' this fairly simple 4 approach / exit roundabout using google street view, it appears the planners wish to ensure traffic flows due to the main route being an ''A'' road - hence the dual approach for following the road ahead.

To turn left (1st exit ) should be self explanatory :)

To follow the road ahead ( 2nd exit ''A'' road ) one could choose either lane on approach, as shown by the white lane markings, not indicating right or left.

The only right turn ( 3rd exit ) is the one between the pub & tyre place, to take this exit one would be in the offside lane on approach indicating right, as of course one would if taking the 4th exit - back where you came from.

There are no '' general '' rules as each individual roundabout must be approached / navigated on it's own merit, taking into account road signs or markings, which ovveride the old fashioned basic principle of approaching / navigating roundabouts

Hope this helps. :)

• Like 1

Cheers Mark, and you're definitely right about the flow of traffic, I was going to mention that before but forgot.

No worries Phil, I'm glad to assist.

My 10 years teaching not completely in vain then !

Driving lessons anyone . . . . form an orderly queue :)

• Like 1

I almost started advanced driving lessons last year but never got round to it, but I think this thread proves that I need to do that lol.

• Like 1

It's a scary fact that approximately 30 - 40% of full U.K. licence holders would fail the driving test if they took it again tomorrow.

This figure increases dramatically for foreign licence holders.

Food for thought eh ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club