Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4 or 1.6 Diesel?

KimL

Hi - I'm newbie on here.

Just wondering if there is much of a noticeable difference between a 1.4 or 1.6 diesel? I have '07 1.4 diesel zetec, (as all that available when I needed to get one - the 1.4 seem much more common and available) , however I'm finding it a bit sluggish, around town 1st/2nd gear and also overtaking when faster speeds.

It is the first diesel i've owned so maybe it's just cos I'm used to a petrol. I had a 1.8 petrol focus estate before.

Would I find the 1.6 tdci more powerful (noticeably enough to try and change the car - or should I stick now with the 1.4) I am surprised that the 1.4 seems so much more popular, when road tax, and diesel consumption is the same in both. Would have thought people would go more for the bigger engine.

thanks

Kim

I would go for the bigger engined one as if the performance was not what you wanted you could get it chipped up to about 120bhp and then you WOULD notice the difference!

The 1.4 has the following things holding it back:

* only 8 valves

* no intercooler

* lower displacement

With all these problems, it still isn't bad... But you will find it a bit 'dead' under 1.8 kRPM. I think this is due to Ford's default fuel mapping; they seem to have attempted to emulate the torque curve of a Petrol engine on this car. Shame really!

I'm hoping to get mine remapped fairly soon. When/if I do I'll report back.

Chris...

Hi - I'm newbie on here.

Just wondering if there is much of a noticeable difference between a 1.4 or 1.6 diesel? I have '07 1.4 diesel zetec, (as all that available when I needed to get one - the 1.4 seem much more common and available) , however I'm finding it a bit sluggish, around town 1st/2nd gear and also overtaking when faster speeds.

It is the first diesel i've owned so maybe it's just cos I'm used to a petrol. I had a 1.8 petrol focus estate before.

Would I find the 1.6 tdci more powerful (noticeably enough to try and change the car - or should I stick now with the 1.4) I am surprised that the 1.4 seems so much more popular, when road tax, and diesel consumption is the same in both. Would have thought people would go more for the bigger engine.

thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

I currently own a Mk6 1.6tdci and I don't have any of the problems you described. All diesels are slower than petrols through 1st or 2nd but mine isn't to bad at all, but it has loads of torque and very powerful, and find overtaking at low and high speeds is easy + it still does 50mpg and thats not trying to drive economically at all. So I personally would go for the 1.6 if you get the chance.

I have the 1.6 tdci fiesta and i like it lots. I test drove the 1.4 and ther is a difference!

Sarah :lol:

Thanks guys

you've made my mind up. I was getting frustrated (making wrong choice), but wanted to check I wasn't making a big deal out of something that really wouldn't notice the difference.

As soon as I can I will upgrade to a 1.6. :o

Kim

Thanks guys

you've made my mind up. I was getting frustrated (making wrong choice), but wanted to check I wasn't making a big deal out of something that really wouldn't notice the difference.

As soon as I can I will upgrade to a 1.6. :o

Kim

good good, glad to hear it. Your best bet is to go to a Ford dealership and see if they have the old shape fiesta diesel there to test drive or even test drive the new 1.6 tdci as I would imagine they are exactly the same to drive

All diesels are slower than petrols through 1st or 2nd...

?? You hit peak torque in first and second gear in about half the time it takes a Petrol!

Chris...

?? You hit peak torque in first and second gear in about half the time it takes a Petrol!

Chris...

yes but you don't have the rev range that a petrol has, hence my mates Mk5 1.6 Zetec S beats me off the line but as soon as I hit 3rd I start reeling him in.

yes but you don't have the rev range that a petrol has, hence my mates Mk5 1.6 Zetec S beats me off the line but as soon as I hit 3rd I start reeling him in.

Yeah you gotta be QUICK with that 1st to 2nd gear change!

Chris...

ive got a mk7 1.4 diesel and im finding it very fast , i find it easy to overtake and overall performance is superb , a diesel will be sluggish in 1st and 2nd but when you get to 3rd and 4th thats where it kicks in

The 1.4 isn't really sluggish in 1st and 2nd, but you DO have to rev it to around 2k to get a fast start. And THEN you have to be careful of wheel-spin if it's at all damp out! :lol:

Pulling away at just over idle takes an AGE to get moving though, which is a shame because a TDi should be good low down. (Again, I'm sure it's fuel mapping more than anything)

Chris...

• 11 years later...

Hi lm new to this. My Grandson has a 16 diesel. Cooling fan keeps coming on 🤔 even when switched off flattening battery .   Any help will be a GREAT Help🙏

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club