Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus 1.8 Duratec, Can I Fit A 2.0 Lump?

diddles

Hi, I have a mk2 focus 1.8 duratec with only 55,000 on the clock. It burns lots of oil and I am suspecting that the oil control rings are either stuck or worn.

I don't want to strip down and replace the rings, id rather replace the engine. I would prefer to put in a 2.0 duratec as I hear the rings on these are better. I don't want to fit another 1.8 incase the rings have gone on that one too.

Would it be a case of fitting a 2.0 lump and ecu, or would i need the clocks aswell.

Would a 2.0 fit ok, as im guessing its the same engine.

Thanks

The Focus MK2 with 2.0 Duratec HE engine has some differences compared to the 1.8 Duratec HE.

The 2.0 Duratec HE has a different gearbox from the 1.8 Duratec HE. The 2.0 has the MTX75 gearbox while the 1.8 has the IB5 gearbox. Next to this the 2.0 does also have bigger brakes at the front and the rear. The 2.0 has 300 mm brake discs at the front and 280 mm discs at the rear. The 1.8 has 278 mm discs at the front and 265 mm discs at the rear (or even drum brakes in case of an hatchback).

In my opinion you need at least the following parts:

* Complete 2.0 Duratec HE engine including all belonging parts (like wiring, fuel injectors, sensors, etcetera).

* Clutch from a 2.0 Duratec HE.

* Dual mass flywheel from a 2.0 Duratec HE.

* MTX75 gearbox from a 2.0 Duratec HE.

* Both driveshafts from a 2.0 Duratec HE.

* 300 mm front disc brakes.

* 280 mm rear disc brakes.

During production there were 3 different types of PCM used on both the 2.0 Duratec HE and the 1.8 Duratec HE (ESU-121, ESU-131 and ESU-411/418). Installing an engine which has the same type of PCM as your current engine would be the easiest solution. In this case there is no need to change the PCM and engine bay wiring loom. The only difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 PCM will be the software. Reprogramming the PCM with the correct software will solve this.

The instrument cluster is completely identical and does not need to be changed. However the PATS immobilizer system is integrated into both the PCM and the instrument cluster. If a different PCM is installed the PATS system must be reprogrammed completely.

Thanks for the very informative post! Would be easier to buy a complete car then. I'm trying piston flushes at the moment to see if I can free the rings that way.

The car seems to judder at half throttle which is the biggest annoyance at the moment and just seems low on power.

Should of stuck with my fiesta!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club