Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dodgy Headlamp

reaper763

Hi,

Just wondering if this is a common problem or if I'm just really unlucky.

I've had a 2008 Focus (the facelift one) since October last year and I'm burning through headlight bulbs on the passenger side. Not sure if its just because its been cold or if the headlamp is duff but its not fogging up inside so I don't think its leaking.

So far its had the standard halogen ones it had when I got it, then I got some Halford ultra mega brilliance (forget the exact name) and these only lasted about a month, and then i got some decent brand ones which lasted a while but everytime the passenger side goes.

Any suggestions?

Also, if it means replacing the whole unit I might just go for some aftermarket ones if anybody can recommend anything decent?

Thanks for the help!

That's odd.

My old car (same as yours) which my dad now has still has one of the original bulbs. He replaced the other one around 2 years ago I think. Maybe just unlucky with the bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Are you touching the glass part of bulb before fitting or during fitting?

Are you touching the glass part of bulb before fitting or during fitting?

No I'm not. I've always used the metal rim bit to hold it not the glass :)

have you replaced the drivers side one at all in this time?

if not you could try that in the passenger side and put a new one in the drivers side.

see what happens.

whilst unlikely it could be cooking off bulbs if there is an electrical issue, if the ground to that bulb is shorting out its possible that the bulb is acting as fuse, blowing before the fuse its self.

But if that were the case it would be doing it all the time, not just after a few weeks use.

if its touched, damaged, not seat properly, it could be vibrating too much or cooking its self off

or you could be just really unlucky

have you replaced the drivers side one at all in this time?

if not you could try that in the passenger side and put a new one in the drivers side.

see what happens.

whilst unlikely it could be cooking off bulbs if there is an electrical issue, if the ground to that bulb is shorting out its possible that the bulb is acting as fuse, blowing before the fuse its self.

But if that were the case it would be doing it all the time, not just after a few weeks use.

if its touched, damaged, not seat properly, it could be vibrating too much or cooking its self off

or you could be just really unlucky

I've been replacing the drivers side as well so that they matched but they were always fine when I took them out. I still have the driver side Halfords one so I'm going to put that in and see how it goes. I don't think they are loose and they aren't touching the inside of the lamp. It's weird. If it happens again with this bulb maybe its worth getting the wiring checked then.

Thanks for the help

Normally means a short to earth somewhere or intermittent contact, make sure all the connectors and sockets are clean and use dielectric grease on them

Halfords bulbs are always dodgy, they seem to last either 1-2 months or 12 months, never eanywhere in between

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club