Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio Display Broke

MTL

Had an incident in the car where a pole I was transporting (not the nationality) slid through between the driver and passenger seats and bashed the radio. It clonked the display and the 'ink' spread across an inch or so of it inside the glass/plastic. Subsequently, I can't read what station it is or search or do whatever to the menu.

It's a bog standard 6000 radio cd player. I enquired with a local car radio guy and he says it'd cost £100 to sort it. Is there a cheaper way?

I'm not that technically minded to be installing a new one or a replacement and actually thinking of selling the car (the button on the handbrake has slightly come apart too) but is there a handy or more cost effective way of sorting it?

• Like 1

What model/year Focus do you have? Have you tried eBay for a complete used replacement radio instead?

It's a Ford Focus Zetec estate 54 plate. No not tried eBay as I'm thinking this could be a job for a more technically minded person perhaps?

I should also say thank you there WES180!

• Like 1

You will be fine to sort this yourself. There are some 6000 radio's on eBay for around £40 delivered. You would need a set of removal keys too for around £3 delivered. That is going to be your cheapest option unless you have a local breakers yard that could save you on postage charges for the radio.

• Like 1

Ever changed one yourself?

Five minutes to change one, just make sure you buy one with a code and not out of a Mondeo and you'll be fine.

Wes is right, I would even trust my 8 year old daughter with hyperactivity issues to replace one of these. It really is childs-play, use removal keys to pull out old unit, disconnect the plugs, launch in nearest bin receptacle. Connect plugs into new unit, slide back into place, enter keycode and Bob is your mother's brother.

Also, if you are selling it, it will add more value having a stereo which hasn't been unintentionally modified by a pole. I reckon a potential purchaser will try to use it as a negotiating point to knock money off.

• Like 2

How do I find out if the radio is the right model? I've seen lots of 6000s on eBay - some say Mondeo others Fiesta etc. Will it be as long as it looks the same as mine it will be the right one I need?

Buy the one that says its for a Focus as they can look the same but the sides can be contoured differently and you will not tell from the eBay pics, only when you slide it in the car and see it doesnt line up with the surrounding dashboard fascia.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club