Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Odd Pull Away Issue - '08 Dv6

TomsFocus

Morning,

So, this issue has always been present since buying the car 10 months ago and I'd assumed it was just a 'quirk' or I was a poor driver, but it seems to have got worse recently, though it may be because I have to do a lot more stop/start on a cold engine now.

Anyway, the issue is, first few pull-aways after a cold start are juddery/sticky from the front wheels. It feels like someone is holding the driveshaft hard and it 'jumps' a bit before moving off. Takes a lot of clutch to pull away as well and the wheel slips/spins a bit when it does go. But is fine when it does eventually go.

After the first few times it's perfectly smooth though, which has really confused me!! If it was anything mechanical (driveshaft for example) it would be constant.

Thought I was just forgetting how to drive on a cold engine but giving it more revs doesn't seem to help either, it just makes the judder/jerk worse.

So has anyone got any ideas? Or do they all do it? Really can't understand it myself!!

Edit - The brakes and tyres have been replaced since purchase so it's neither of those.

Cheers

Tom

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the influx of replies there. ;)

Just wanted to update this for any future searchers. It's due to condensation on the DMF allowing slight slippage until it clears. Explains why it's worse on cold or damp mornings. There's no 'fix' as such but blipping the throttle should centrifugally throw any water off of the DMF apparently.

ah, well there you go, learn something new every day.

Biggest problem i have with launch is that 1st gear is almost completely redundant, 1st to 2nd is just a heatbeat. Other issues i have are when its cold, getting in to first can be a a problem, sometimes requires some magic combo of a little clutch and try again.

Now that summer has gone, if it ever truly arrived in the first place, its starting to get chilly in the mornings once more :(

Yeah I have issues with gear selection when cold as well but no more than any other car I've owned, gear oil change may help but isn't a definite, have crunched mine a few times too with a quick cold change but that may be more down to my poor leg arm co-ordination. :lol:

I also agree that 1st is rubbish...as with any diesel lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club