Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2008 - Oil Leak - Help

colinpal

Hi all

I found a puddle of oil and not sure where its coming from. I dont think its from engine. oil looks quite clean.

I think it might be either from CV joint or gearbox.

See picture

Anyone have any ideas or had similar issues?

Thanks

Colin

post-64405-0-24609200-1439541880_thumb.j

Hi mate it won't be or at least it should not be from a CV,,,they are grease filled,,,,if it's near the middle of the car it could be a shaft seal at the box where the drive shaft goes into the gearbox,,,unless that is what you meant by CV ,,,,you say it's clean,,,does it have a smell,,,engine oil will smell fuely or smokey,,,,gearbox smells !Removed! horrid you say it's clean but what colour also.

Try cleaning it all of if it is a bit messy underneath,,,and get some clean cardboard or white paper and put it under the car over night weight it down if you don't have a garage and see if you can pinpoint from what part it is coming from.

You can discount the engine if you have not changed the oil for a while.

Keep us updated as to how you progress.

Paul

Could it be from the gear selector shaft oil seal, mine has just started (along with the driveshaft seals) and was marked as advisory on last weeks MOT

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry for delayed reply

I took to car to Ford and they said it was split on inner CV gator. It must have contained a lot of grease as it was such as mess under there.

Anyway, they said there was some play in the joint and recommended a near Axle. Whether there was play or not I don't know but went ahead with a new Axle anyway which includes new gators etc. Obviously needed gearbox oil top up too.

Total damage approx £400. I think it was £54 initial inspection fee, then about £200 parts and the rest labour.

Regards

Colin

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club