Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car Dealer Won't Supply V5c/2 Number

Waine

The car dealer where i recently bought my 09 Fiesta won't send me the V5C/2 number so i can tax the car. He is stalling me all the time with excuses.

What can i do to get this number ASAP.

I'd be concerned about WHY he's stalling you as he should have the document in his possesion

• Like 3

He said that the auctioneer has it as they buy cars in bulk and they send the documents separately and that he will have it today but I've been waiting since saturday for it.

Maybe - give him a bit more time for Postman Pat to deliver ?

• Like 1

When i bought the car on Saturday he told me not to tax the car until i get the logbook back from the DVLA as the showroom has taxed the car. When i get home i was thinking about what was said and i decided to check it online and to my horror its not taxed.

I have changed my insurance over now from my old car and told the DVLA of the sale to cancel my old tax.

Now I'm worried I'm going to get a letter though my door with a massive fine on it.

• Like 1

Sometimes the dvla website can take while to update especially if they taxed it at post office.

If in doubt give them a call & explain.

'' Car Tax '' is no longer transferable, so, if, as you say, '' the showroom taxed the car '' you'll need to re tax it anyway - & as above, as the transaction took place on a Saturday it may take a while to update

• Like 1

A dealer can tax your car for you- When I picked mine up I had to tax the car but they did it for me.

As for the websites, we often advise upto 14 days for the insurance database at work as it depends on the underwriters etc to do their thing.

I called AGAIN :( and he asked for my sort code and account number and he will be sending someone to the post office to get it done with another kind of form.

I know nothing about cars and all this is giving me a headache.

I very much doubt you'll get any fines from a day or 2 without tax (from previous experience). I'd probably wait until next month to tax it now as you'll lose this months.

I don't understand what's happened with the logbook though, you should've been given the V5C/2 when you bought it. If they didn't have it they shouldn't have let you take the car tbh.

• Like 1

Panic over.

I kept asking and calling and calling then out the blue they send me a picture of a receipt from the post office saying my tax is done. I'll be getting everything in the post in a few days from the dealer.

For anyone in this position in the future, its beneficial to pester as has been done (rightly so). Also ensure you get everything such as this in writing. In the event you are found to be driving the vehicle without tax, raise a formal complaint to the DVSA and provide all written communication from the garage. If the V5C cannot be provided, the vehicle in theory should not be provided to the new owner, though if you have the owners slip (secion 5 is it?) then you can prove you have done everything in your power to try and tax the vehicle.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club