Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A 2003 Ka

robbra

Hi,

Bought a 2003 Ka Collection 4 weeks ago, lots of tyre noise but generally sound and clean.

I need a little advice on that perennial problem, the heater.

The coolant was rusty so flushed and new antifreeze mix put in, also a new header tank as the old one was starting to split but not leak. Before I got it a new thermostat was fitted in June.

When changing from cold to hot on the control it gets warm but nowhere near hot which suggests the control valve is working. Is this a reasonable assumption or could it be partially working?

As the coolant was rusty could the matrix be blocked? If so is it easy to remove and flush?

I'm waiting for a Haynes manual but before it arrives any advice or hints on how to remove the matrix would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Valve needs replaced it gets stuck.

Heater Control Valve. Its a common issue and these cost around £40 to replace. I

Hi Gary,

Thanks, I suspected that but as the control would change from cold to warm I thought it might just be a blockage. Anyway, after going on a long run yesterday and switching the control a number of times it started to get hotter, not blistering but quite warm. Perhaps it was gunged up with the previous mucky water after the summer and needed a bit of movement.

Have ordered a valve and will keep it in reserve as I think mine may be on the way out.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Ka HCV on eb.. from £9 to £11.50 and more. Got an £11.50 one yesterday easy to fit, all up and running in under 1 hour. Heater now works!! Hot and Cold.

• 1 month later...

Update.

I got fed up with lukewarm heat so fitted the HCV and now It's even cooler. Both hoses to and from are hot so I suppose I'll have to take off the facias again and test the new unit unless there could be another fault. As I said before I could do cold to warm with the control, now there seems to be no difference set cold or hot.

Update.

I got fed up with lukewarm heat so fitted the HCV and now It's even cooler. Both hoses to and from are hot so I suppose I'll have to take off the facias again and test the new unit unless there could be another fault. As I said before I could do cold to warm with the control, now there seems to be no difference set cold or hot.

Did you fit a brand new HCV?

Have you fitted the 12v power lead correctly?

Hi del,

Brand new and the connector will only go on one way so yes to both.

Hi del,

Brand new and the connector will only go on one way so yes to both.

Are the controls on the dash working? Is there a voltage on the connection. If not check fuses.

Have you removed the new HCV? was there signs of water.

Maybe you need to flush out the whole water system (blockage).

When you fill up don't forget the Anti-Freeze - I think its 50% x 50% but check.

Hope this helps

Del

Hi del,

It's started to get a bit warm on a long run so I suspect the matrix is probably clogged, but no time at the moment to see to it. The valve is working so it sort of confirms it and as long as it doesn't get too cold I'll live with it. I will report back when I check but it might be some time.

Thanks for replying.

• 3 weeks later...

If the water was rusty, Maybe the matrix has become rusty from sitting due to the stuck hcv

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I drove 350 miles at the weekend and the heater was fine so it's probably circulated all the silt that was in the matrix and I think another water change is in order.

Thanks for replying

Only thing now is that the tyres are very noisy on some surfaces, they are cheap Chinese, time for a set of Goodyears soon.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Time to part company.

To explain, I bought it to see if I could live with a car after driving vans as I retired last June after being self employed. I have a VW Transporter which I would sell if it all worked out and then stick with the car.

Got the thing running well and it looks lovely but I can't stand :-

1, Sitting on the floor looking up at everyone.

2, Getting blinded at night especially in the rain.

3, Being unable to see floods on the road in front. Brought to a shuddering halt several times with all this rain.

4, The frantic nature of driving it. Steering is so immediate, feeling every bump in the road, getting buffeted by the wind.

It as a great car, akin to a sports car but driving the VW is so relaxed in comparison and the fuel consumption and insurance are the same so it's bye bye and has been listed for sale. I had fun for four months.

Could be worse you know , could be "buffeted" by Graham Norton!

lol

Yeah I ken where yer at - Once yev driver a Toyotas Hiace miles off the road ye feel safe - I feel just as dangerous as I did when I used to drive my

Dutton Phaeton S3 kit car and it was mental , pure mental as we say in Glasgow but I feel even less safe in this Streetka - Already had a bump because of the

poor visibility - its a nightmare when someone is coming down the passenger side - checked the mirrors , rear window , side mirror , pulled out and bump!!!!!!

Luckily the Streetka can take a mild bump and the plastic wing just flexed itself back in - all i had to sort was the inner wing strut which had deformed!

• Like 1

No G Norton, I'm a red blooded male.

My first car was a mini van in 1967 but I was young then so it doesn't count and since then I have drive Routemasters in London and many lorries so the KA seems very low and those mirrors are tiny even fitted with extra reflectors.

As for your Dutton, phew! No sane reason for having one which of course means there is a reason.

Anyway, the KA is sold and going tomorrow so I'll have a little tootle into town today and now signing off of the forum but if I buy another van it may be a Transit.

Thanks for all the help and info........Have fun.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club