Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help New Car Won't Start Can You Advise?

Focuszoe

Hi All, First Post

3 weeks ago I brought a car from a car garage.

Within 3 days it started to backfire and started to lose speed. later realised that water was getting into the spark plugs. So I changed those and also fitted a new battery due to finding that there was hardly any power starting the car.

Took to a garage for a report which lead to realising the core plug was corroded, front break disc where corroded and that passenger front shock absorber was severely corroded and leaking oil onto the break disc. 

Anyway now the car just isn't starting at all.. Recovery said its the starter motor however partner came home and some how managed to start the car. This morning I've gone to start it and again just not starting at all. 

Every light comes on the dash and the mileage is just shown as ----. (See pic below) I've also noticed the immobiliser light is flashing like mad. 

So I literally do not have a clue what the problem is? 

And whether it's worth fixing as I love the car or just take it back?

(however car garage said that if I return it refund will not be in full as he will charge me usage "but won't be more the £500" LOL?! Even though I've only had it 3 weeks) 

the car was £1450

55 plate, 1.6 Ford Focus LX, @88,500 miles

described as machially sound (just a heat cover needed reattaching which my partner did.)

Do you know what's up with it? 

Is this common/major issue? 

Would your bother repairing it or just take it back for a refund?

Any suggestions/ advice I would be grateful 

image.jpg

If the cluster is showing dashes instead of mileage and the immobiliser is flashing then there is a communications issue between the modules hence why it won't start.

As for returning it you have rights after you have given the garage chance to fix it if not fixed satisfactorily then you have the right to reject it as unfit for use.

As for charging you for using it I am pretty sure there is no legal ground they can do that.

Write to the garage requesting all the faults to be rectified and go and see CAB and trading standards about your rights. See if trading standards have had any other complaints about that garage.

• Like 2

as above don't let them charge you anything not fit for purpose 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys do you think it could be more so communications issue then the starter motor then ? 

I would get it done myself but it if more things go on the car :/ 

Do no more work to this car.

Send a copy of the garage report to the seller with a letter highlighting all the problems.

Offer the seller the opportunity to fix all the defects at his expense , or replace vehical for something similar in value , or issue a full refund.

If he declines these options and gives you a load of bullcrap instead , avoid any further dealings with the seller and lodge a claim at magistrates court , its free for the complainant.

Down to him now to prove it was a genuine transaction for a car that was in road worthy condition , which is obvious that he cant.

If you really want to put the boot in contact trading standards and your local paper to make them aware of this rogue trader , nothing gets the ball moving faster than bad press.

• Like 1

Reject it as i fear it's a lemon

• Like 2

Thanks biff55..

Im going to return it tomorrow to the dealer .. Only issue is the car will need to be recovered to the garage 15 miles away.. And they have tried to fob me of twice already.. I will write a letter tonight send one in the post and also hand him one with a copy of the consumer rights act. 

a lemon is that car slang haha I know what you mean though put me off driving it too expecially with my children and and two long trips to city centre a week :(( gutted 

• Like 1

Hello,

Based on what has happened and what the car is doing, it may be that you instrument cluster is faulty. 

The clusters on these are common problem. The issue you have is the instrument cluster is part of the immobiliser system and so if it faulty it's not activating the starter .

Some fixes can be wd-40, resoldered get the connection points on the cluster or professional repair. 

As other members have said you can try the above method but you can is not fit for purpose. It don't start or move so, as suggested go back to the garage. 

Regards

• Like 1

On 1/26/2016 at 7:15 PM, Focuszoe said:

Thanks biff55..

Im going to return it tomorrow to the dealer .. Only issue is the car will need to be recovered to the garage 15 miles away.. And they have tried to fob me of twice already.. I will write a letter tonight send one in the post and also hand him one with a copy of the consumer rights act. 

a lemon is that car slang haha I know what you mean though put me off driving it too expecially with my children and and two long trips to city centre a week :(( gutted 

When you write the letter put "LETTER BEFORE ACTION - WITHOUT PREJUDICE" at the top and make it clear to the garage that if they do not recover and fix the faults with car at their cost or recover and provide you with a full refund, you will take action through the Small Claims Court (you can do this online).  Explain you will not be paying a "usage" fee as the car was sold not fit for purpose.  You may even be able to file a criminal complaint against them under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 if the information they gave you when they sold the car was misleading (if it is reasonable to believe they knew of the state of the car and misrepresented it at the point of sale).

So don't just rely on the Consumer Rights Act, the 2008 Regulation is an incredibly strong Regulation when used in the right circumstances.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club