Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf questions

LouisM

Hi all

Another dpf question!

Instead of removal for the obvious benefits but obviously illegal and an mot fail etc. Has any one considered simply cutting it open and drilling a hole through it obviously not a full removal but a derestriction.

Dpf is still in place, doing what it needs to do but not getting clogged due to exhaust gasses passing through the hole in it ?

Just a tired late night thought

Yeah I've seen it done, has all the cons of both leaving it and removing it with none of the pro's! :laugh:  It's about as useful as those EGR blanks with a hole in the middle.

In fact I'm in the process of buying a car cheap that someone has done this to, thinking it would fix it lol.  Invisibly gutting it is the only way to do it and pass MOTs.

• Like 2

Why would you bother to go to the effort of cutting it open then only do half the job?

• Like 1

Well, that's a version of 'removal'. When people remove, they usually mean that the innards are removed but the casing is put back looking as original as possible (for, eg, MoT purposes). However, if the hole through the middle is big enough, then it is like having a hole and the DPF does nothing, and if it isn't it works like a slightly ineffectual DPF.

Just a thought, as I've been reading that in the event of a crash and the insurance cut it open for the precious metals in there etc, it's all still present minus an inch wide hole in the centre.

What would be the consequences of removing it and not having a remap ? Would this cause high issues or ?

If the insurance cut it open and find a 1" hole then your insurance is void due to changing emissions systems anyway so I don't see the point.

A 1" hole wouldn't be anywhere near enough either,  the core that's left will block up but it won't regen* due to not sensing the pressure.  The 1"  hole left would be a huge restriction then.

*It will try to regen as a fail-safe eventually, but this will overheat the inside edges of the core and potentially break it, wouldn't risk that myself.  If you don't have it mapped after full removal you risk overheating things and breaking the turbo.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club