Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus Bonnet Opening Issues

patja

So my Mk2 Focus bonnet has suddenly become a !Removed! to open. I have managed to open it by putting pressure on the bonnet when turning the key. This has worked a couple of times and hopefully will again but I don't want to stay messing with it as it's not simple and takes a few goes. 
The key operates correctly when turning to the right because I can hear the click but that is the secondary action - the first action, turning the key to the left, is not working correctly.

I had it apart today and thought that white 'x' shaped clip (Ford Part No. 4549268) might be worn down but it was in perfect shape. I believe this can slip out of the notch too (anti-tampering) so I thought disassembly and reassembly might help matters. Not so. I have it all back together now and have exactly the same issue. 

When the bonnet is open I can see both latches moving when turning the key.

Anybody any experience with these and where exactly is the fault likely to be?

Is it likely to be the bowden cable section (Ford Part No. 1343577) or is it the latch block (Ford Part No. 4895286) that needs replacing? 
Since the white clip is in perfect nick I assume it's not that.

But as I said the key operates correctly when turned to the right for the secondary action, which requires the clip to be correctly in place. 

I'm guessing it's the bowden cable but that's just my guess. It's my first time with this issue. It could possibly be the latch block too. 

I too always found that pushing down on the bonnet of my old mk2 to avoid resistance on the mechanism while turning the key was a sensible precaution that reduced the risk of damage to the plastic bar.

When was the mechanism last greased?

A small shot of WD40 to clean the mechanism followed by some spray grease should help.

Sent from my SM-G930F

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

When was the mechanism last greased?

A small shot of WD40 to clean the mechanism followed by some spray grease should help.

Been there, done that. No change

I had exactly the same problem yesterday, in that my bonnet wouldn't open, I'd wrongly assumed it was the "famous Mk2 bonnet lock collet problem" and was almost resigned to having to break up my grill, to get at the collet to open my bonnet. I remembered that Brigante (on here) had written a guide on how to go about.  

On the comments, another member afbbiker with the same problem, found it was his bonnet catch sticking and not a broken collet.  By following what he had done I was able to release my bonnet and then lubricate the catches.  However, it wasn't just the catches that lacked lubrication on mine.

As I discovered, when I closed the bonnet after I'd finished and found I was back to square one and it wouldn't open with the key again. :sad:

I re-opened my bonnet by exerting a lot of pressure as I turned the key as before  I re-lubricated the catches and then noticed the plunger (to the left of the catches), that forces the bonnet upwards when the catches are released was seized.

mk2 bonnet lock oh.jpg (RGB) on Layer 1 300 x 300 dpi .jpg

mk2 bonnet lock.jpg (RGB) on Layer 1 300 x 300 dpi .jpg

When I pressed down on it, it didn't move.  I then put several squirts of WD40 and left it to penetrate for 5 minutes or so, after which I was able to depress it, albeit still with some force.

I then lubricated it further with some 3-in-1 until it moved smoothly and required less effort, and worked further 3-in-1 into the the two catches.

I then shut the bonnet, ensuring it had clicked.

I then tried re-opening the bonnet with the key - normal operation had been resumed.  I then repeated it several times, just to check, it works just as it's supposed now:smile:

Brilliant post GMX, thanks a lot. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. It's these little things I want to rule out before heading off to Ford. I'll give that a go this afternoon. 

Well I got it opened again with a bit of downward pressure. I checked the plunger but it was movable. Nevertheless I oiled it up along with the rest of the catches. I worked the plunger up and down and oiled it up but it didn't feel like it freed up during the process. I worked all the other catches too and oiled them up again (as I did yesterday). 

I closed the bonnet, put in the key and.... it opened! First time. I shut it again and it... opened! First time. 

I really can't be sure that it is fixed or if it will continue to be temperamental, time will tell. But I won't be off to Ford just yet! :)

It may well have been the plunger. It was moving before I oiled it up and it didn't feel like it freed up at all but it is the only thing I didn't lubricate yesterday when I first had the issue. So thanks again GMX. 

EDIT: Just tried it again and it wouldn't open without a bit of downward pressure. 

Ive seen somewhere (probably on the focus rs forum) someone put a bonnet release inside the focus after so many problems with the key type bonnet release. Not sure how it was done but im sure a lot of us would be interested in this too? Anyone got any info on this or if it is possible?

• 1 year later...

This thread will keep reviving I guess. My bonnet has been intermittent difficult to open for ages, but with persistence it does eventually open, so not completely locked out and nothing disconnected or broken inside.. So today I got round to taking it apart. Seems that the bit of the catch which is supposed to move to the right to release the bonnet doesn't always move right over hence occasional sticking. (This is the catch in the lower red circle in the picture above)

So do we think this is a worn part, if so which one, or should a good greasing sort it out?

7 hours ago, smokie said:

This thread will keep reviving I guess. My bonnet has been intermittent difficult to open for ages, but with persistence it does eventually open, so not completely locked out and nothing disconnected or broken inside.. So today I got round to taking it apart. Seems that the bit of the catch which is supposed to move to the right to release the bonnet doesn't always move right over hence occasional sticking. (This is the catch in the lower red circle in the picture above)

So do we think this is a worn part, if so which one, or should a good greasing sort it out?

Cleaning off the old, sticky grease and replacing with new is never going to cause any harm. Dirt and dust likes to stick to grease.

• Like 3

I finally got round to greasing it as best I could, but the catch is still not moving fully across to allow the bonnet to open most of the time. And when I was testing, the first step also didn't work properly once or twice. I have avoided putting back the grille as if I do this then can't open it I would need to break it open I think.

Any other suggestions please?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club