Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Half wits at Halfords strike again.. Advice appreciated!

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

So I have been chatting with the wife today, who has been chatting to a friend of hers (another mum from the kids school). Her husband took the car to Halfords Autocentres for an MOT. On the plus side, the car flew through the MOT, that's where the story goes south. Its not a Ford, but thankfully its not a Vauxhall either :P

Seems one of their mechanics, was re-securing the battery (why I dont know, as you dont need to remove a battery for an MOT!!!) anyway, the tool left his tool (screwdriver) under the battery, which was rattling around near belts and coolants. Long story short, within 10 minutes of picking the car up, it was overheating severely. The coolant system ruptured, coolant went everywhere, and plumes of steam came out the car. The car had hit 150 degrees in 10 minutes, and if I am not mistaken, 150 is only the max on the dial that it will report, and it could have well exceeded that temperature!

So Halfords took the car back, and I heard about this tonight. I have mentioned to the family they should complete the following at least!!!

1) Phone Halfords and tell them not to touch the car until they have full consent

2) Contact their insurance company and report the event

3) Contact VOSA / DVSA and report the event as a massive failure of Halfords at the very least, between incompetence and potentially a breach of the MOT test guidelines (as far as I know - its not "correct" if not "legal" for the vehicle to be dismantled for the test, in which case, why where they tightening the battery?

To be honest, this is what I think has happened:

1) Screwdriver (and drill variety, not just a small screwdriver) has shaken loose and jammed in the belt, stopping the pump from cycling the coolant

2) Coolant stopped circulating, engine overheated severely, and as the coolant expanded, its blown out the coolant tank.

3) Overheating engine, has probably blown the seals, and possibly warped the head, requiring new head gasket if its not warped.

4) damaged the seals and possibly caused a leak of coolant into the engine.

5) Possibly burned out the water pump.

6) Possibly a cracked block!

I have told them to report it to the insurance, as I think it should be treat as an insurance claim regardless. I expect the damage and potential risk to the car means that if Halfords "fix" it, there would be further damage down the line, which couldn't possibly be related to their idiocy, and subsequently would put the family in question entirely liable for the bill.

I personally wouldnt trust the car to be repaired, that said, I dont know if I am over reacting, so I come to you guys to get your thoughts. Other than the obvious idiots dealing with the car, have I missed out anything? should they be contacting anyone else? Would I be missing anything, or am I right?

Surely this is a matter that requires legal advice, and possibly legal action to follow?

• Like 4

your right about not been allowed to strip a car down on a mot i would not go through insurance as i don't think it would help and with insurance company's they will probably put your policy up when it comes for renewal just like if you have a crash and it's not your fault they still put your policy up

as regarding Halfords been useless i agree a mate of mine took both cars there for an mot as i was busy and could not do it 1st car they failed on handbrake effort my mate went down asked them to show him the reading and the person was hardly pulling on the lever my mate pulled the lever and car had plenty off effort with still reserve travel on the lever (Halfords trying to get money out off people for work not needed) second car they failed on exssive movement in rear axle mounting bushes  quoted him a silly price to fix it so he asked me to go down to Halfords when i finished work went down asked to  see why it had failed tester put car on shaker plate's and then told us there was  movement in the rubber bush a bush should not allow any movement in it how stupid can you get a rubber bush is there to allow things to move slightly otherwise the suspension would be solid when i checked back at my work there was no free play in the bush to indicate that the rubber bush had worn

my advise never take a car to halfords

• Like 4

Surely this is a matter that requires legal advice, and possibly legal action to follow?

Agreed with you both buy yes I think this may need legal advice but suggested he does at least make his insurer aware as he could get something of a courtesy car or legal cover from them

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Probably cheaper to hire a car than take the hit on your premium.

I'd then bill Halfords for the hire car.

In fact I'd probably take it back to a main dealer and/or trusted garage and have them cost it up and get Halfords to pay for the work while also refunding the mot cost.

• Like 3

Did they carry on driving it with steam pouring out and the temp in the red? :mellow:

Shouldn't be any tools under the bonnet on MOT as far I know.  Just a plastic hammer for tapping rusty holes and a pry bar for checking knackered ball joints.  Did they have a battery change at the same time or a 'free summer check' or anything?

I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush but I've used the local Halfords Autocentre twice and my Mum used them once, they messed up every single time...  I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but that's too consistent even for me to try again!  Not really sure what the plan of action should be in your case unfortunately, good luck with it though.

• Like 2

Alex, I am inclined to agree with you, the problem is the car is undriveable. Halfords towed it back to their place to do some work on it to repair the damage.

Tom, as far as I know, no. They were driving and the car was getting hotter, though yesterday was quite warm, I expect they didnt think too much of it, but then it shot up when they were in a tunnel (you have no where to go at that point!) them steam started blowing out the bonnet, they stopped and dealt with it there. The problem is they had three of them in the car, where one was a small child, the area they were in has no escape, and people drive like the thing you hold on a gear stick.

To be honest, I still think there is too much risk to the engine, the head the gasket, and possibly the block crack depending how bad it got. 

• Like 1

Trading standards. They give free advice too!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Alex, I am inclined to agree with you, the problem is the car is undriveable. Halfords towed it back to their place to do some work on it to repair the damage.

Tom, as far as I know, no. They were driving and the car was getting hotter, though yesterday was quite warm, I expect they didnt think too much of it, but then it shot up when they were in a tunnel (you have no where to go at that point!) them steam started blowing out the bonnet, they stopped and dealt with it there. The problem is they had three of them in the car, where one was a small child, the area they were in has no escape, and people drive like the thing you hold on a gear stick.

To be honest, I still think there is too much risk to the engine, the head the gasket, and possibly the block crack depending how bad it got. 

Yeah that's fair enough, you're right there's not always a chance to stop.  They 'may' get away with it depending on the engine (what car/engine is it?), but I've seen headgaskets fail at much lower temps.  The problem I can see is that even if Halfords admit to leaving a tool in there and causing part of the damage, they could claim that further damage could've been avoided had they stopped earlier and not pay out for the full damages. 

• Like 2

thats what I am hoping for them, wont happen. They have an older VW Polo I think. all I know is its a petrol.

I am keeping an eye on it, I think as they are desperate to get the car back, and dont have the money to throw at these issues, they are just allowing Halfords to fix it, I just want to keep giving them things to watch for, and suggested through the wife earlier, they should insist on a warranty for the engine for a period, so that if they HG goes, then they can at least go back and get it covered.

• Like 2

I would suggest getting some legal advice

I think Halfords need to put in writing what they are going to fix or at least offer a warranty for the engine and coolant systems before hand, unfortunately I don't think a solicitor will be able to advise much unless they know exactly what the current counter offer situation is?

• Like 1

Citizens Advice Bureau might be able to help?

Or better idea yet Jeebs, post this thread on consumeractiongroup.co.uk forums, they're really excellent at giving free, non-professional legal advice. Been very useful to me.

• Like 1

Sounds something worth passing on. Thanks matey

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club