Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Mondeo Estate front tyre wear - normal or excessive?

Conquistadore

Hi everyone,

My wife's 2011 Mondeo 2.0 ecoboost Titanuim estate has done around 10k in the last year, mainly urban short run stuff (family wagon).

13 months ago we put four new Continental Contact Sport tyres on it. Today, whilst the rears have around 5mm remaining, the fronts have both worn down to the depth indicators and the middle of the tyre has scrubbed all it's life off.

This can't be normal, can it? 

I dont claim to be an expert but I gather that excessive wear in the middle of the tyre is usually a sign of over inflation. 

• Like 1

Some brands of tyres wear faster than others that's the trade off between grip and wear, but if the centre has worn faster than the rest then that's a sign of over inflation, also town use will wear the tyres faster than main road use, it's the exta acceleration and braking that does it.

Not sure what others get but I get around the 17k mark, running currently Avon ZV5's 235/45/17 at 40 psi, but don't do town work mainly A and M/way

8 hours ago, Conquistadore said:

This can't be normal, can it?

Yes, it can.  You have 'sports' tyres which are at the 'high wear, good grip' end of the spectrum. Depending on which tyres you have driving style and conditions this is at the low end but not completely abnormal; it is not abnormal for the rears to last two or three times as long as fronts.

It is of course worth checking the tyre pressures with something believable (petrol station are gauges are not always believable)

What is the reccomend psi for sport tyres does anyone know?

What size? Check on the manufactures web site and your handbook, 36-40 is recommended depending on load

• Like 1

Hi , I have Conti 5SC on my leased car , they are rarely able to last above 6k. This is on a quite light weight VW CC. Previously to this I had a S-Max Titanium X Sport again on Contis and that would kill them in 5K.  On my Mondeo I have Uniroyal Rain Sport 3  . they are as good a tyre as the Continental but too early to comment on wear.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club