Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical problems

simoncush

Hello. I keep getting what I think is an electrical problem on my '97 Ford Estate. It first becomes apparent whilst driving in colder weather. The 'ABS' light will faintly glow, followed by losing electrical power resulting in losing steering and the engine. Can be a bit of a problem when cornering! I have found that if I slip the clutch and depress the accelerator as soon as I notice the ABS light come on, it stops the car from clonking out. No garage has yet found the fault. Can anyone offer a suggestion????

Hello. I keep getting what I think is an electrical problem on my '97 Ford Estate. It first becomes apparent whilst driving in colder weather. The 'ABS' light will faintly glow, followed by losing electrical power resulting in losing steering and the engine. Can be a bit of a problem when cornering! I have found that if I slip the clutch and depress the accelerator as soon as I notice the ABS light come on, it stops the car from clonking out. No garage has yet found the fault. Can anyone offer a suggestion????

sounds like your battery, or alternators on its way out, i had same problem.

Def sounds battery or alternator problem.

Check the battery is holding charge and then check the alternator is inputting charge to the battery

• 11 months later...

Hello again. It's almost another year on and the problem is back now that the weather is getting colder! The same old thing, ABS light comes on (faintly) the radio switches off and almost complete loss of power. Dipped the clutch, revved the engine and the problem went away. I now have a new battery (replaced earlier in the year), and the alternator is working. This problem only rears it's head when the weather turns cold???? I've checked the main fuse box and relays, checked no water is in the fuse box in the engine bay, I'm at a loss. Can anybody help?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club